Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kitchen aid Refrigerator that say's, Refrigeration…

Customer Question
I have a Kitchen...

I have a Kitchen aid Refrigerator that say's, Refrigeration cooling is off. I Tried to turn it on by pressing the Lock and Measured Fill for three seconds numerous times, But each time it still displays Refrigeration cooling is off. Other than that, There is nothing showing on the display panel. What is your take on this issue?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is a 07-2013 Model Number # KSC24C8EYY02

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of at the moment,.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Have you tried unplugging the refrigerator or shutting off the breaker for 2 full minutes and then plugging back in?

Numerous Times.

Try holding down the 2 buttons for 10 seconds.

I tried that numerous times also. I still get the same result. I have come to the decision that there is a problem with either the Display Board, Or the Main Board. Both are like $200 or more. I just don't want to guess the wrong one and be out of 2 or $300 dollars. Because the parts distributor here do not allow you to return electronic parts for a refund.

I understand. Without being there, I cannot isolate which board is bad. I will opt out of this question. Perhaps another expert can better assist you. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up your question.

Ok. Thanks!
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 5 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

I just want to make sure we're on the same page so please bare with me on this next question. Did you press and hold the "MEASURE FILL" and "LOCK" buttons for 5 seconds to try to remove the cooling off function? I know you said you press 2 buttons, but were those the 2 you tried?

I pressed those 2 buttons. They normally turn the unit on. But now it only goes Beep Beep, and displays, Refrigeration cooling is off, and will not turn on.

OK so then you are correct, you have a bad control board. This isn't a problem with the main board on the back---it's can't be. The only board responsible from removing the "cooling off" is the front board itself. To be perfectly clear, that is part number WPW10623103. I'm not sure where you plan to order this part but Searspartsdirect.com tends to have the best prices on these parts and it's $188 from them.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ok. Thank you very much. I am glad that you were the person selected to assist me with the problem. I have viewed your consultation with others and you have always been very knowledgeable about their complaints. Thank you for all of your help.

Not a problem and if you need anything else just let me know, I'll still be here to help although if I'm out running service calls I won't be online to respond until I return

One thing though. The Refrigeration cooling is off does not remain. It Only flashes when I attempt to turn the refrigerator on by holding the Measured Fill and Locked button or pads.

Um... so why are you trying to remove the "cooling off" if it doesn't display on the screen?

If the display isn't constantly showing "cooling off", then there is no reason to think it's turned off. If it's just not running, the main control board on the back is bad and needs to be replaced. You need to replace part number WPW10235503. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for control board

Well. The problem that I am having is that the refrigerator will not turn on. Not, That there is a unwanted selection on the display.In addition to the refrigerator not turning on. The display will not show that it is awake by pressing any button on the selection panel.The panel shows no lighting.So the only thing that it does is flash Refrigeration cooling is off when you attempt to turn it on. That's about it. it does nothing else and the refrigerator will not turn on.

I got that, but in your initial question you said "I have a Kitchen aid Refrigerator that say's, Refrigeration cooling is off."

Now you're completely contradicting what you said before. So as I just stated, if the display isn't constantly showing "cooling off", then there is no reason to think it's turned off. If it's just not running, the main control board on the back is bad and needs to be replaced. You need to replace part number WPW10235503. Below is a link to the part.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Hi. I ordered the main control board that you recommended and it hasn't come yet. I understand that the fact that the on sequence to start the refrigerator is being recognized by the display board by flashing refrigerator cooling is off, Means that the display board is operating properly. But what is not working is the main control board that should receive this command and turn the appliance on for operation, But this is not happening which verifies that the main control board isn't operating. So I ordered the Main control board instead off the display board.

Correct, sounds like the correct board to replace if the cooling off light isn't on the display all the time and does remove but the refrigerator still won't cool.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc