Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE sensor microwave (2003) has suddenly stopped working.

Customer Question
My GE sensor microwave...

My GE sensor microwave (2003) has suddenly stopped working. No lights - nothing works. totally dead. - Is it worth trying to repair a 14 years old appliance or should I not bother and just get a new one?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

14 years - model JE1860SH

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If simple yes - if not no

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Told you everything I know as to what is wrong.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 9 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The only thing worth fixing when the unit goes 100% dead is the inline fuse. If you have a T-20 safety torx bit, you can remove all the screws going into the outer shell. There are some coming in from the sides as well as the outer edges coming in from the back along the right, left, and top edges. Remove these screws and the outer shell will pull straight back, up and off. Now behind the control panel area near the top, there is a 1" cylinder fuse. You can test it for continuity and if it's open replace it. If it has continuity, I'd get a new microwave.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?