Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool washer won’t do anything. The sensor light

Customer Question
My whirlpool washer won’t...

My whirlpool washer won’t do anything. The sensor light keeps blinking and then a humming noise starts. It won’t drain, spin, or restart a cycle.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It’s not even 2 years old. The model is a WTW5000DW1

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We tried to calibrate it, but it won’t even do that (assuming we are doing it correctly)

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/10/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Is it full of water now?

It has some water in the bottom of it. Should we scoop the rest of it out?

That is why it will not do anything. It has to be able to pump out to allow a new cycle. So, we need to address why it is not draining. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Okay, thank you. Also, the problem started when we washed a comforter in it. It never finished the cycle, and the comforter was heavy and wet when we pulled it out of the washer. It hasn’t drained or spun or reset since

The pump may be accessed by removing the back service panel. The drain hose is connected to the pump. I suspect that if you remove that hose, you will fi8nd something in the pump that is preventing it from draining. Can you get a look and see what may be in there? Of course, water is going to come out, so make sure it is unplugged and be prepared for the water that will escape.

Okay, pulling it apart now.

Roger that, thank you!

We pulled the back off, and detached the hose. The water is running out of it

Okay, do you see anything in that pump port that is now open, like fibers or other debris, that would keep the pump from running?

There is some lint in there. But it doesn’t seem clogged. The water flowed out of it really fast.

The water may run out but the impeller can't move. That lint is what is causing the issue. Can you pluck it out with tweezers or similar?

Can i send a picture to make sure we’re lookig at the right thing? We are sticking plyers in it to try and pull stuff out, but nothing is coming out

Yes, use the ADD FILE button to upload a picture.

Yes, you may have to remove it to access the input side to clear any obstructions.

Okay. Yeah, that doesn’t spin all the way around.

Okay, so you will need to remove the pump completely and clean out the pump inlet. I know it is a messy job but you are almost done! :)

How do we get it out? We have the hoses all unplugged now, but no idea how to detach it. Should the little propeller on the idea spin all the way around?

If you tip the machine forward a bit, you can access the screws that hold the pump in place to the tub bottom. The impeller inside should turn all the way around, yes.

We did it! We got the motor out and cleaned it. It spins again! Now for the reassembly!
It was a Bobby pin. There are more in the bottom of the machine. How do we get to the inside of it to get them out of there?

That will be a bit trickier, the inner tub will need to be removed unless you can grab them from the tub outlet. Nice work!

We can’t get it from ge tub outlet. Any videos on how to remove the inner tub on this particular model?

Sure, I will get you one!

See the attached pages.

e60cf900-cb70-4d16-830c-...jpge60cf90...jpg2b4228fc-ebb5-4751-bc6c-...jpg2b4228f...jpgc64202fe-3c77-4122-a07f-...jpgc64202f...jpg07d99df0-870c-4cd3-96a9-...jpg07d99df...jpg314a581d-154b-4a21-aeee-...jpg314a581...jpg
We took the impeller bolt out and literally cannot get the impeller to lift out. We even tried to pry it off
We got it off and are on the part with the Spanner wrench. Is that the correct name for it? We can’t find any that look like the picture on any store websites

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was called away unexpectedly.