Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have A GE Spacemaker Profie microwave oven. The dial know…

Customer Question
I have A GE...

I have A GE Spacemaker Profie microwave oven. The dial know that is used to set option/timer stopped working. All other touch button on the panel works fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model: JVM1490WD003

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I recently replaced the halogen lights inside and at the bottom of the oven

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/10/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

When you replaced the bulbs, did you unplug the microwave first?

The dial continued to work after replacing the bulbs

Okay, so let's see if the control will reset. Unplug it for 5 full minutes to reset the electronics. Does the behavior change when plugged back in?

I did unplug but only for about 30 seconds... I'll unplug it for 5 min and will let you know.

It takes that full 5 minutes for the board to discharge and reset. Let me know what happens, please.

Ok.. So I plugged it again and it reset itself.. First it asked to set the clock... the clock button works but the dial does not so I could not set the clock.. the Express cook button works as well all other buttons including the over range light, vent fan....etc.
now when I initially it the knob before pressing the clock button...it beeped.
I meant to say hit the knob

So still no knob working?

Correct. know is still not working
knob

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Ok.. thanks

The control on this model is all integrated, it is all one piece and will need to be replaced, available below.

CLICK HERE

If you would like replacement instructions, please let me know!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Thanks Kelly... I' going to remove the remove the panel and check out for any loose ribbon/wires or contacts.

Sure, but that turn control is soldered onto the board, there are no connecting cables.

OK. so I removed the board and the touch panel... it turned out that the touch contact points inside the dial housing was out of alignment due to years of use... I stretch and straightened them out and put it back together... not the dial is working again and the microwave is working as before... but now I have another issue... the fan and lights don't come on any more.. the LED panel displays the state of each but neither comes on.... during my initial testing after I repaired the contact inside the dial housing both were working fine... now neither is. could it be a relay or something else?

It would not be likely that both relays have failed so I suspect something is amiss in the area you worked on at the control connections, especially if they worked before.