Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool Conquest Model GS5SHAXSB01. Freezer not freezing &

Customer Question
Whirlpool Conquest Model GS5SHAXSB01...

Whirlpool Conquest Model GS5SHAXSB01. Freezer not freezing & Ice maker not making ice

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Unit is12yrs. old. model GS5SHAXSB01

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/10/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?