Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool side by side refrigerator freezer is working…

My whirlpool side by...

My whirlpool side by side refrigerator freezer is working but the refrigerator is not cold I hear the fan working but its not cooling

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

10 yrs old ED2CHQXKQ00

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The fridge is for my father and we cant afford a new one right now

11/6/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

I know the freezer is cooling, but the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

how do I get the panel off and do I unplug the unit first

You don't really have to unplug the unit, but you need to remove all the shelves and then start at the bottom and work your way up removing the screws going into the lower back panel until you can remove the lower back panel to see the silver coils and fan.

The back panel is iced over

OK that's what I figured. That means your unit isn't defrosting properly and the coils behind that panel are going to be packed with ice. That prevents air from going to the refrigerator from the freezer. Unplug the refrigerator. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thanks I am going in

No problem and good luck.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc