Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool electric dryer smells like something is burning.

Whirlpool electric dryer smells...

Whirlpool electric dryer smells like something is burning. No lint in the trap.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model LER5644EQO - it is probably 20 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to try.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have removed the back and notices two sealed containers. I have cleaned it up, removing lint and dust. It actually looks okay.

11/5/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Hello Kelly

See the diagram at the link below. Number 1 is the housing the lint filter slides in. There is likely a build up of lint at the bottom that is restricting the air flow causing it to get too hot inside, making it smell hot.

CLICK HERE

That housing will come loose at the bottom when the four screws at the back are removed. You can pull it out for access to clean, but be very careful of the edges, thy are sharp!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Okay. I will start the disassembly tomorrow. I believe I stopped the dryer before any damage was done. If this works I will have saved a bunch of money. It is an older model though. If I fail, I'll head down to get a new one. Thanks for the exploded drawing.

Sure, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
I followed your instructions and cleaned the lint trap. No more burning smell! Crossed fingers... I think it's back to normal!