Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a upright freezere that is 14 years old but stopped

freezing today. I checked all...
I have a upright freezere that is 14 years old but stopped freezing today. I checked all the obvious things; it's still plugged in and the door is closed properly. The interior fan runs, and the lights on the bottom come on showing it is supposed to be working, but it does not get cold. It was a very good freezer up to now, so I would like to know if there is some easy checks i can do myself to figure out what is wrong and decide if it is worth trying to fix it myself. Thanks
Vince
11/4/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

Check and see if the compressor is running and vibrating behind the unit, is it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is.

OK if it is running and not cooling the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

A POSITIVE STAR RATING to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Hello, I am just touching base with you, the question is still open and unrated so if you can please use the star rating system at the top of your page so I can receive credit through the site for my time…thanks! If you need something else just post back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it probably is the freon because I just realized that the thermometer I had in there was reading 53 degrees and the ambient temp in the garage was about 65 degrees. Would the freon being low do that? Would it be possible for me to use one of those canisters that you used to be able to buy to recharge the freon through a valve that you clamped to the tubing? Do they still make those?

You can use R134A in a can but you need a tap valve and you have to really weigh it in or you will overcharge it. These units only take 5 oz +-

A POSITIVE STAR RATING to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating and you can continue to respond back here after a rating is given for FREE.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would you have to do, weigh the can before dyou started and weigh it as you go along to see how much you had put in?

Yes you would have to weigh the can as you go that would be the only I could think you could do it.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My freezer says it needs R-134a, but the only cans of that I can find for sale all seem to say for automotive use. Is it ok to use that in my freezer?

Yes it is the same freon.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician