Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Whirlpool front load washer, model VFW9400SW03, will not

Customer Question
Whirlpool front load washer, model...
Whirlpool front load washer, model VFW9400SW03 , will not dispense liquid fabric softner , detergent works OK
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6 years old, model VFW9400SW03 S/N 199 088WT/CR
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, everything else seems to work OK
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
10/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 month ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Good morning! First, check to make sure that your dispenser is draining properly and it isn't clogged. Clean out the dispenser and softener compartment. Remove the cover and clean it out thoroughly. Pour a cup of water into the softener compartment quickly until it starts to overflow. It should then siphon the water out and if so that means the unit is definitely clean.

If you run a cycle and you still have problems, you need to replace your dispenser actuator which is what moves the water diverter so that the different compartments receive water (bleach, softener, main wash compartment, etc...) This is mounted to the top right side of the dispenser so you'll need to remove the top panel of your washer to access the actuator. Below is a link to the actuator for your model.

CLICK HERE for actuator

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have removed the top of the washer and the actuator on the dispenser moves to each of the 4 locations. water is dispensed to each location except the softner. water flows from the top holes in each location, but not the softner. i have cleaned the dispenser drawer and all is good with that. i do not know how to remove the top of the dispenser unit to see if there is blockage inside this unit

That dispenser housing doesn't come apart. If it's not flowing properly the entire dispenser housing would need to be replaced. The part number is *****

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc