Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool cabrio gas dryer model #WGD5600XW2 and…

I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool cabrio gas dryer model #WGD5600XW2 and the dryer runs but no heat. Removed front panel and burner never ignites.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's a cabrio and about 3 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your gas dryer. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Can you tell me if you hear the click of the gas valve when you start the dryer or switch from air fluff to heat?

no click

Ok. I see. I will send you a list of things to check, the most likely of it is the thermal fuse, if you are hearing no click. One moment while I get that information for you.

I am not where the dryer at this time. It is my daughters at her house.

Ok, then. Here is what you will want to check when you get there. If your dryer doesn't heat, check these: Igniter Gas valve coils Thermal fuse Igniter Modern gas dryers use an electric igniter to ignite the gas from the gas valve. When it's working properly, the igniter glows bright orange. When it burns out, the dryer tumbles but there's no heat because the gas can't ignite. When the igniter burns out, you need to replace it. If the igniter is held by a tension bracket, you very well may need to replace the bracket too. The igniter is inside the dryer housing, near the bottom front, usually in a cone-shaped metal tube (the force cone). It's about 2 inches long. It's mounted to the far end of the burner tube, and it has two wires attached to it--or to the tension bracket, if there is one. Gas valve coils Watch the igniter. Does it glow bright orange, then shut off without igniting the gas? (When the gas ignites there's a large blue flame.) If so, there may be defective coils on the gas valve. Mounted on the top of modern gas valves, there are black electrical coils. The coils, when energized, open the gas valve. If one or more of the coils are defective, the valve doesn't open and the gas cannot ignite. Because it's often difficult to properly test the coils, it's usually best to replace both (all) of them at the same time. Thermal fuse On many dryers, there's a thermal fuse (a heat-sensitive fuse that blows if the dryer overheats) mounted to the exhaust duct inside the back cover panel. The fuse is about an inch long. It's usually embedded in black resin and mounted in a white plastic housing. If the fuse has blown, it has no continuity. When this happens, your dryer either just stops heating, or it doesn't work at all. Be sure to inspect the venting system before replacing the fuse to put the dryer back into operation.

- I hope I have earned a five star rating from you. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech