Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have problems with several new water filters that will not…

Have problems with several...

Have problems with several new water filters that will not work. Act like they are plugged up. Without filter water rand icemaker work fine.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Sears Kenmore Elite 795.78764.800 (made by LG)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Have used several after market brand filters but once I find one that works the 2nd time I try to use a new replacement it will not work.

10/23/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

You should be using OEM ones have you done that?

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
They work but are $50ea. Was hoping that aftermarket ones would also work as they are only about $20ea.
Have tried 4 different aftermarket brands and 2 brands worked fine for the 1st time but none after that.
OK. The unit is almost 10 years old and the only other problem we have ever had is with the door switch that shuts off the light and lets the water/ice maker run.
still waiting !
Phone call session started

Does the unit work fine without the filter installed? Also is the system hooked up to a reverse osmosis?

everything works fine when the filter is out. NO we are not on a reverse osmosis system. City water system.
I cannot wait any longer for a reply. It has been almost an hour this time and another hour before this. Please have the tech contact me @***@******.*** after 8am PDT tomorrow.

ok sounds good.

when can a expect an answer from the tech ???

Do you lose water pressure at the dispenser too?

Not when the filter is out. If I put a filter in I get no water flow. It backs up and when I take the filter out water goes everywhere.
could there be a problem with the water inlet valve or where the filter connects ? The inlet valve is easy to get at but the filter housing seem like it will be a real pain.

This sounds like a bad filter head. The head that filter goes into can get plugged up causing that issue. That is why you are seeing water everywhere when you take the filter out. I would replace the water filter head on the unit. If the valve was bad it would not work when you had the filter out.

CLICK HERE PART

THANKS. That makes sense. The filter does fill with water but will not go back out.

Yes replace that head and get back to me if it does not solve it!

Will do. THANKS

OK great I will leave this open for you to come back here anytime to me...sorry for the confusion yesterday!

I replaced the head and found out 2 things. 1. I cut the old head open and found a gasket was not aligned correctly inside the head. 2. Noticed that one of the O ring gaskets on the filters was installed incorrectly and some were very loose. Replaced the O ring and moved it to the correct position and now everything is working fine.
THANKS for your help.

Great!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the feedback and glad the issue is finally solved!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician