Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Message F51 on our top load washer. Getting F51 message on…

Message F51 on our...

Message F51 on our top load washer

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Getting F51 message on our washer. It is a Maytag Bravos Model MVW8300WQ0, Serial CO1371900

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure. It has a 10 yr. Motor warranty, but not sure that is the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The water runs in, lid locks and then nothing it sits. We have to wait a while for it to flash and show F51 and then another 10 min. or so before it shuts down and unlocks the lid.

10/22/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your Maytag washer. Please give me a moment to review your question.

The F51 error indicates that the rotor position sensor (RPS) is not sensing or it is defective.

To try and reslove it, try removing and reinstalling the connector at the RPS at least three times to clean off any corrosion built up on the connector and RPS due to the intermittent connections. After that go ahead and try to run a cycle. if you continue to get the F51 error then you need to replace the RPS sensor.Please note that your Maytag washer is made by WHIRLPOOL. Here is the part number for the sensor: W10178988Here is a link to it on Amazon: http://a.co/08K0u45Here is a video to help you locate it and replace if necessary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Hg8rLGiKQ- I hope I have earned a five star rating from you. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. Thank you.
Thank you. We will try this.

You're welcome.

Engineer-Tech