Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore He2 that will lock but not cycle. I have…

I have a Kenmore...

I have a Kenmore He2 that will lock but not cycle. I have replaced the Control Unit and it is still doing the same thing. It has an error code "Add Garment"

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Customer:***********

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have been doing the work myself, so yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. It will turn on, I choose a cycle and locks, add garment lights up then nothing happens. The belt looks fine, it has no water in it currently, the drains and hoses are all clear.

10/21/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. After it locks, what exactly happens?
  2. Do you see the drum turn at the very start after the door locks or cold water come in?
No turning and no water, it just stays locked. I can push stop and it will stop and unlock.
turn off and unlock

What happens if you just leave it, will it do anything at all, jerk the tub or anything?

Nothing happens at all it just sits there door locked with the light for add garment on and power on

Thank you. Does it do anything in a diagnostic cycle?

I have unplugged it waited several minutes and plugged it back in. I replaced the CCU and it is doing the exact same thing.

Let's run a diagnostic cycle. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

It's an older model so I don't think there's a diagnostic cycle. There is no little window with numbers or time on it. The manual says if add a garment light is on the three things listed have to do with the control unit

There are on board diagnostics, I am preparing instructions for you now.

Okay thank you

See the attached tech sheet, starting on page 7. Please post any error codes you may be able to retrieve. The errors will display as status LEDs illuminated.

Ok, I'm starting now

Thank you.

Is there water that has not pumped out in the tub?

I don't believe there's water. None has pumped in.

Well, that error code means that the control sees an issue with the water level. With the machine unplugged, remove the small hose from the pressure switch in the right rear corner at the top. If you blow through that small hose, does air easily pass?

air passes easily

Hmm, okay. Now, can you start the manual diagnostics cycle, the one without error history, and see if the tub moves at all or if water enters?

It locks and flashes the drain and spin cycle. Nothing else happens.

Okay, is the pump running, or trying to tun. humming or buzzing?

Not at all

I suspect the pressure switch is faulty. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thank you! Reading the manual was like hieroglyphs. You have been helpful in narrowing down the problem.

Yeah, they can be very confusing! Have a great weekend, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician