Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a microwave good combination. It will not start and I…

I have a microwave...

I have a microwave good combination. It will not start and I get a door error message. Even when the door is closed firmly, it will not operate. The unit has been in use for three and a half years. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool. WMH31017AS-1

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Manufactured 12/13

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Perhaps

10/21/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your microwave . Please give me a moment to review your question.

I have a microwave hood combination....autocorrect again

Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches is bad. These microwaves have 3-4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like the microwave thinking the door is not shut when it is. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20.

- I hope I have earned a five star rating from you. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. Thank you.

Is there a schematic that's shoes the location of the door switches and where would I be able to purchase them?
Shows

One moment while I get some information for you.

There is no schematic that shows the location of them. They are located right behind where the door hooks go into the microwave when you shut the door. They are accessible by taking the top grille off and then removing the control panel.

There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. The one that does not click is likely the one that is bad.

Engineer-Tech

Here is the part number for the switch W10727360

Here it is on Amazon: http://a.co/cZUro8l