Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Why does my refrigerator constantly make popping sounds?

JA: What's the make and...
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It's less than 3 years old. It's a fridge on top model.....hubby is looking for make an model right now.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Model WRB329DMBW00
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Can you tell me how often you hear these popping sounds? Every few hours, every 6 hours, every 5 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, just please answer my question through text.

Just ignore that offer. It is automatic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These popping sounds are almost constant

Where are they coming from, specifically?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From the back of the fridge

You mean from the back outside of the refrigerator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
from the outside of the fridge in the back of the fridge.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

Well you have a fan underneath the refrigerator. You probably have something caught in the fan blade. That is the most common cause of a popping sound. The only other thing back there is the compressor - in which case if it is popping, it would likely need to be replaced, which is a huge job. It is likely just the fan blade though. You would want to pull the refrigerator out and take the small back panel off of the bottom at the back to inspect the blade.

- I hope I have earned a five star rating from you. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since it has been doing this since I bought it, would there have been something stuck in the fan all this time?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long is the warranty on this fridge?

Sure. If it is a piece of plastic or linoleum from the floor, or some other foreign object it could certainly last many years. The warranty is typically one year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is taking off the pan to check it usually something a consumer can do, or should I call in a repairman?

A consumer can certainly do it. You will just want to be careful about what you touch back there. If you want to "catch it in the act", you will want to leave it plugged in but not touch anything. Once you have identified the source of the sound, you can then unplug it and remove any foreign object from the blade if it is there.

Engineer-Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thanks.

You're welcome. Have a good night.

Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech