Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool gold refrigerator model W15FSAXVY. The…

I have a whirlpool gold...
I have a whirlpool gold refrigerator model W15FSAXVY. The power was out for several hours and the control panel to cool the fridge will not turn on. The interior lights work and the entire panel lights up when any button is pressed. I can not figure out how to reset it. Thanks.
10/20/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your Whirlpool refrigerator. Please recheck the model number in the refrigerator section on the interior wall and give it to me. The one you gave me does not appear to be valid.

It is GI5FSAXVY02. Sorry about that

Thank you. Please give me a few moments to look that up.

Have you tried pressing the "cooling on/off" for at least 3 seconds?

Ok. One moment please.

Have you tried to unplug it for 60 seconds and then plugging it back in and then try to turn it on?

Turn what on? The power is on when you plugged it in. I tried the breaker for 1 min, isn't that the same?

Press the cooling on/off after unplugging it for 60 seconds and then plugging it back in.

Nothing changed

Then unfortunately it appears that a power surge has damaged either the HV board or the user interface control. The refrigerator will need to be serviced.

Ok

Wish it was better news.

- I hope I have earned a five star rating from you. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. A rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. Thank you.

Engineer-Tech