Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Bosch B22CS... ice maker produces ice just fine but

all of a sudden, both...
I have a Bosch B22CS... ice maker produces ice just fine but all of a sudden, both buttons on the dispenser only produce crushed ice...no cubes. Is this a setting that got messed up?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 5 years old, but will check exact model right now...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: B22CS30SNS / 02 yes, I could if not too complicated
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: think that's it
10/19/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

That is typically a bin issue have you taken the bin out and put it back in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cleaned and dried

Ok do you see the rod on the bin sticking out the back of the bin?

OK that rod goes into a small opening inside the freezer. In the opening there is a small square piece that has to be pulled down so the rod is in the middle of it. Often the piece gets stuck up then the rod does not line up with the piece and when you select cubed the solenoid pulls that square piece up hence pull the rod up to open the flap all the way on the bin to get cubed ice. This is the most likely issue, let me know if that solves it.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving for my service. That will also allow you to come back to me right here anytime for as many FREE followup questions you have!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to run out for a few hours but will check when I get home if that does the trick. I emptied all of the ice so will need to make more. Thanks

OK no problem!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
finally got some cubes made and tried, still is only dispensing crushed on the cube side. The square piece (with a spring on top) is indeed in the down position (with the spring visible) I noticed that that rod that sticks out of the back rotates a little and opens the flap as you said. Should I take a picture of the square piece so you can see the position? Or should the flap be manipulated into a certain position while I insert the cube tray back in slot? I know we are on to something.

When you have it set to cubed and push the dispenser you should hear a snap and that square piece with the spring loaded top should snap up. If it is not doing that press the piece up does it move up freely?

The piece should move up and down freely if not the solenoid may be melted. If the rod somehow got stuck in the wrong spot and did not allow the piece to move up the solenoid will melt rather quickly causing the hole to distort in the solenoid then the piece can never engage. You may need to take it apart and check that solenoid. It is held in by those screws and would be the most likely issue If you use cubed ice all the time and are not super handy you can just tape the flap open on the bin and it will always dispense cubed ice not crushed.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician