Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have a gtdn550gd5ww GE GAS DRYER, took assembly apart and

belt is busted (whole assembly...
Have a gtdn550gd5ww GE GAS DRYER, took assembly apart and belt is busted (whole assembly smells likes burning rubber) would be inclined to order a new belt and installed but I’m not sure if the belt ripped or drier stopped working because bad motor ???Tried to start drier to see if motor would turn and all get when u Power it back up is a loud ‘click’
10/17/2017
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

That model is not going to run without the belt on, it has belt switch, if you want the motor to run with no belt you will need to bypass the belt switch- see diagram below for switch location-

click here for part diagram and location of belt switch

If you bypass the belt switch and the door switch and belt switch are engaged then the motor is bad.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. Rating the answer does not close the question out it will still be open after you rate. I do not get compensated until you rate, I'm sure you don't work for free please don't expect I should.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t seem to find that bypass to see if the motor is still good or
If the motors toast - I can find another used one for $100 - $150 a belt looks to be around $60 and a motor definitely makes me want to replace at $158.00 I sent along a picture and maybe you can give me better idea where the ‘bypass ‘ is to run it with no belt to test / check the motor- hate to go through putting a belt on this machine and having it be more (see attached) is there also a reset that would diagnose this motor for me or I need to remove the ‘clip’ (retainer,etc) thanks - I don’t know why it sent thru CANADIAN DOLLARS at first as well ?? (Not that it matters - does it )If I move this lever it clicks but it doesn’t make the motor spin (door closed etc) when I try to start it - I must be missing the override
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok got motor to spin - it had to unplug it and wait 15 sec for it to reset - anything else beside the belt I should replace when doing this in your opinion ?

just check that the pulley on the belt tensioner turns freely and check the slides on the drum bearing on the dryer front and check the bearing for any cracks if it looks worn out replace that to save you issues in the future.

click here for location and image of drum bearing if you are not sure what I am referring to - click here for diagram

Please remember to rate my assistance before you go, thank you very much, if you have any follow up questions afterwards I will still be glad to help out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gtdn550gd5ww That is the GE GAS DRYER but I cannot cross reference a new belt anywhere ??

The replacement belt you need for that model is :

Dryer Drum Belt

Part #: WE12X21574 - click here for part info at sears

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know WW at the end stands for ‘white’ the GTDN550GD5 doesn’t give me a
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Belt or reference to a belt would it be listed under something else ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or another cross machine ?

Dryer Drum Belt

I sent this a second ago but you wrote at exact same time I sent it so you may not have seen it.

Hi there,
I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with? If not please rate my assistance, thank you very much.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m sorry to bother you - it I took the number you gave me and order the belt right from the sears parts and it seems to big, I tried to hold it up to the other one and it seems like it fits but it obviously to big or I am missing somethingUsing the part that arrived today WE12M29, the belt didn’t come with a guide - and no matter which way I try to loop the belt it’s way to longCan we confirm the part number or am I missing something
D92F793A-99D6-43D9-9DD2...jpegD92F79...jpeg21255089-F7C4-48EF-941E...jpeg212550...jpeg47247C7E-A104-4038-A9B4...jpeg47247C...jpeg4A761153-86B7-4300-ACA3...jpeg4A7611...jpeg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Think I got it

It's the correct belt for sure, you have to make sure its on the idler pulley correct

If you got it right now please rate my assistance as you still have not done that after a few requests, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had it all together and was all set and now the dang thing won’t even power back up up - wall give electricity but indicators won’t power on - check all my connectors didn’t miss anything, is there a ‘safety’ on this ?

since you apparently think my time is not worth anything and you refuse to rate my assistance i am going to opt out and let another tech work for free, someone should be along shortly.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To the other tech that chimes in please help I don’t know why the her tech felt that I didn’t feel his time was while, it is worth while but after putting the machine back together I have no power ???Joel - I never thought or said your time wasn’t worth anything - I’m paying for your time why would you stay that ? That’s a poor attitude - no t that you got the drum belt fitted it won’t power on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Applicable guru - I’m not sure why Joel doesn’t think I believe his time is valuable - he was nice enough to find the belt size etc, I installed the new belt and put the machine back together and the display won’t power on at all and I checked all the fuses - the house fuse and the round fuse at the back of the dryer

OK no problem do you have power to the machine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The display won’t light up but the panel is warm - everything worked before I reinsert the drum and started to put it all back together again and now the display won’t ligt up - check all connections and connections are good - what am I missing ??I have been doing business with Justanswer for a lon time and I have never had a tech tell me ‘apparently I didn’t think there time was good enough’ and I have asked well over 20 questions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would sincerely ***** ***** help

Did you check the high limit on the heater housing for continuity?

This part here CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I did not - is it common for birth to fail at the same time / close to same? I check the motor before ordering the belt everything worked great, took apart to install belt and now fispjay is inop - how go you want nd to Check that for continuity- against what ? It’s self ? Or just go side to side on the terminals ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no display and I took the drum and belt back out of the machin so now I have a big mess !!

Can you get to that part with a volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well since the machine is disassembled - on my way back home right now, that part is attached to the side with around the cut out for the drum assemble (if it were installed) you just was me to continuity test that part ??? Just out of curiousity why would that keep power to the display etc, like I said everything was working fine and then I had to remove the out side of the casing to get the drum inside the machine and when I put everything back together (or half way back together) I had no display no nothing ?? What do you think I did ? Will test as soon as I get home in 20 min
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Conitinty testing is the same as testing for a open lead right?

That will kill power to the board like a fuse. Also there is a 30 amp bus style fuse on the back of the unit...SEE LINK....CLICK HERE one of those two things may be burned out, if so there will be no power to the control board. Check them out and see.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving for my service. That will also allow you to come back to me right here anytime for as many FREE followup questions you have!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only other things I did were to clean up the lint on the bottom of the dryer by hand and the gas is turned off ??? None of that should interfere with power to the display ?

Did you get my last post with the link?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already checked the fuse on the back of the machine - glass fuse -‘it was good and I continuity tested it as well because it’s not a ‘see thru’ (I went bought a brand new multimeter so I need to get up to speed in use) I tested the part that you first indicated nd the are 3 part next to the drum I will send you a picture the one at ‘2 o’clock ‘ is fine but ‘distorted’, 3 o’clock is fine (the beep when I put continuity to them) however the located at 4 o’clock which is closest to the one you mentioned (according to the picture) it works - even sent you pictures of the meter to check my settingsNow what ???I don’t get it everything worked until I put the drum back in and once I figure out the routine of the belt it wouldn’t power upThe display is not on but it’s warm -
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well not sure why this happen now, I put the other side back on the machine thinking that maybe I wasn’t getting good ground - while everything worked and now it
Doesn’t is a huge problem and I have a aweeks worth of cloths - anyway- there not a way to reset the display of the control board on this machine is there ? The control board is very hot to touch when my figure is - I double checked all my connections and am baffled, nomsure why it worked on day and now it’s dead or maybe I’m lucky enough and there is a lockout I missed- see picture for hot spot on board - any tips or just really bad timing with the belt ??

I would not touch the control board you could short it out with your finger. It looks like you may be needing a new board in the near future though based on the pic. This is just likely coincidence.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well considering that I can’t even get the control board to emit that it’s ‘on’(I didn’t touch the control board while plugged in I though it was I terestjng that it was warm and I was getting no reading after it DID work (but doesn’t anymore) because it stopped working while I was installing the drum after installing a new band now nothing works - is there a lockout procedure that I may have started other wise the machine is DOA

No lockout procedure it sounds like you just have a bad board. The boards chip looks bad for sure.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician