Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a ge side by side freezer/refrigerator that is not

Customer Question
freezing ice or frig staying...
I have a ge side by side freezer/refrigerator that is not freezing ice or frig staying cold. The coils were cleaned. The fan runs but where do i start to isolate the problem and parts needed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
10/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

Do you have the model number of the unit by chance? The most common issue on this style of the GE Refrigerators for the issue you are having is that the defrost heater or thermostat has failed. To check this you will need to remove everything from the freezer section and remove the panel at the bottom, it should be between 2-6 screws depending on which one you have and you might have to wedge it a little to pull it out. Once the panel is off you will want to look at the coils behind the panel. They will likely be all frosted up and if it's bad you might even see some frost on the front side of the panel that you are replacing.

Those are the condenser coils, the evaporator coils that I am referring to are accessed inside the freezer section. Maybe I worded it incorrectly but the coils I am referring to are accessed from inside the freezer section.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wont unplugging the redrigerator for a couple hrs allow the coils to melt thereby making it unecessary to open the back of the freezer?

It takes about 24 hours for it to full defrost that way just turning it off, and it would go back to working as normal however after about 1-2 weeks it will be frosted back up again if the defective part is not replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Based on the model I provided what are the instructions to remove the panel andx check the evaporaator coils?

Remove everything from the freezer section including the shelves. At the bottom rear of the freezer section you will see the panel, it is held it by between two or four 1/4" screws and then tabs hold it at the top under the fan cover. Once those are removed you should be able to remove the panel and inspect the coils in the freezer section.

Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician