Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a KitchenAid built-in refrigerator model KSSS48QDX05…

I have a KitchenAid built-in...
I have a KitchenAid built-in refrigerator model KSSS48QDX05 and it keeps building up condensation inside of the top of the fridge side. Then, after some period of time, ice builds up between the air exchanger that sits between the freezer and then fridge. Also, I took the entire fridge apart - made sure the drain line wasn't clogged. Among doing so, I found the entire pan at the bottom of the fridge was full of water.What I am very confident is the issue, is the seal around the fridge door has gaps at the top and bottom of the fridge. I do not see these same gaps on the freezer side, just on the fridge side. However, I went ahead and order a new seal for the fridge side thinking that would solve it - while I haven't installed it yet, the corners of the new seal look exactly the same as the corners of the existing seal. Honestly, it looks like the seals have already been replaced (at least they aren't original) and I see no cracks at all and the rubber looks fully good - frankly as good as the new seal.Any ideas what could be causing the top and bottom of my fridge door to not seal/close properly? It does appear the fridge door may be very so slightly out of alignment by maybe 1/4" to maybe an 1/8". Is that truly enough to cause the seal at the top and bottom of the door to not seal properly? Or is there maybe something else causing the condensation inside? Anything else to check? It really does appear that the fridge door seal is not closing all the way at the top and bottom (it's sealing just fine in the mid-section of the door...so probably 90% of the door is sealing fine...just 5% or 3-4" at the top and 5% or 3-4" at the bottom has a gap).Thoughts?
10/15/2017
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. First you are going to want to check the hinges at the top and bottom to ensure they are screwed all the way in. If not then it can cause an inaccurate seal on the unit. Then after that we will try the dollar bill test to make sure its sealing properly. Without a proper seal it will cause this issue to happen.

I've tried the dollar bill test, and it definitely fails. What I do not understand on this fridge, is how to deal with the alignment of the hinges. Let me send you a few pics and a video.
It's step #10 on the instructions that I need to follow, but they make absolutely no sense. I'm a handyman around the house and fix all kinds of things, I cannot for the life of me figure out what they are talking about here.

I ​understand what you mean I think what you need to do is tighten the hinges and make sure none of the screws are loose. Here is a blow out with part names so you can understand what you are looking for and looking at.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sm-backend-production-attachments/09001a50801feac1/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%204394685.pdf​

I've already looked at the diagram - what I don't understand, is what hex screws are they referring to? I have checked all the bolts on the hinges at the top and they are super tight - no movement in them. I don't see any reason to try to unscrew them (they don't look like they've been messed with, so assume probably not a good idea to mess with them now - right?).
Those previous pics were both from the top side of the fridge door at the hinge.Attached here is the same pic from the left (freezer) side of the door hinge at the top.Now, when instructions say hex head screws - does it mean those bolts? The 4 heads on the hinge that is screwed into the main cabinet of the fridge? Is that what they are calling screws, what I would say looks like a bolt.
Looks like to me that the door is not aligned properly - which is actually scraping the metal trim a bit on the bottom side of the door, but I cannot figure out how to adjust the door up/down per the instructions - they make absolutely no sense.
Any ideas what I'm missing here?
I would take video, but this site won't allow me to upload any videos - says they are all too big.
I figured out how to adjust the bottom hinge. I had to take the hex stop bolt out, then take off the plate that attaches it, then take off the c-clasp off the bolt, then I could turn it. However, even adjusting the bottom bolt as high as it would allow me to adjust - it still didn't close the gap.
Any other ideas?

ok ​yes the bolts you are referring to are the hex screws they call them. The only option is that you have at least one unsecure hex bolt.

or​ just one more moment please

check part 17 known as a door stopper is it in there? Has it broken down? This can happen over time and cause the door to hang uneven.

I unscrewed part #17 and it was fine. Even after adjust the bottom hinge up and down to extremes, it still appears the door sags slightly still - where the edge closest to the handle (farthest away from the hinge) is slightly lower still than the hinge side, but this may be by design to get the door to swing back shut. Regardless, neither adjustment is working. Still gap at the top and bottom seal.

so then that is telling me one of the hinges must need to be replaced because one of them is bent slightly

you think the bottom hinge is bent? How would I tell that, without tearing the whole door and hinges apart?
Because, taking off that bottom hinge - would require me to remove the fridge from cabinet on rollers. Not that difficult, but then to replace that hinge - I would have to take the door off and even possibly lean fridge on it's back to get out those bolts from the bottom of the bottom hinge, right?
You're talking about replacing part #29, correct?

I am saying one of the hinges is bent. It could be the top or the bottom. I know its a pain but since everything is screwed in correctly its the only other option is a bent hinge.

Any idea how to tell if it's the top or the bottom hinge is bent? The stupid hinges are expensive - like $75 a piece plus shipping. Last thing I want to do is keep throwing $$$ at this thing if it doesn't fix. A new one is $7-9k, only reason why I'm even messing with this thing. But don't want to spend 3-4 hours and another $200 bucks only to find that it doesn't fix it either. Is there a way to verify if the hinge is bent slightly?

so as much as a pain in the butt its going to be you will need to take them off and see which one looks bent to the eye. It should show for sure.

one last thing before taking off all the hinges can you check part 30 on the bottom right hand side to make sure its not broken down.

Okay, I will start with the bottom one and see if that's the case. Because the top hinge is not weight bearing, it's more of a guide - my guess is very unlikely for that hinge to bend, unless the door swung open hard or something (unlikely with the door stop on the bottom hinge, that this even possible). But is way more likely with that door stop, that if someone swung door open way to hard - then it hit the stop screw, and somehow bent the bottom hinge plate. Going to be a serious PIA to take apart this bottom hinge. Do you know if the bottom hinge can be taken off without flipping the fridge on it's back, in order to get to that bottom bolt/screw?
Is part #31 (2001415 - Screw) the only thing connecting the bottom hinge to the fridge? Can I take this off without lifting the fridge?

if you have two people you may be able to manage that by having one old the door in place. Just be careful doing that.

Part #30 looks fine as far as I can tell, just looks like a bushing - says it's an adjustable bushing - have no clue or see no way to adjust.

ok yeah its not so adjustable lol so then going with the bottom hinge is what sounds the most likely to me.

The bottom hinge does appear that it "may" be slightly bent - but that is a really thick piece of metal. Won't know for sure unless I have a hinge to compare it to.What is the likelyhood of this bottom hinge being bent? Have often does this truly happen? I've had a million things go wrong with fridges and fixed them before (seals, condensers, ice machines, switches, and fifty other things) but I've never had a bent hinge. Thoughts?

al​so parts are much cheaper with repair clinic they ship fast and will allow you return even installed parts in the event they do not solve your issue.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a4b121c71d109385/Model-KSSS48QDX05-Kitchenaid-Refrigerator-Hinge-Parts

it​ can happen from to much weight in the door to much opening and closing moving it around can cause it being leaned forward can shift it.

it looks like trying to take off that bottom hinge is going to be nightmare. I'm not sure I can even take off that bolt (part #31) because it's inside the housing - that has the raise/lower mechanism to level the fridge.

its going to be hard its certainly not easy.

it​ does seem slightly bent to me

Okay, let me do some research - I'll circle back on what I find. I have to run now, but be back at this later tonight. Thanks
but that's not the hinge. That's just part of the linkage, it has no bearing on the door leveling though.

I will be here. Your very welcome.

Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb
travis webb