Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I also have a KA khms2050sss microwave/hood combo. It was…

I also have a KA...
I also have a KA khms2050sss microwave/hood combo.
It was only working intermittently. Sometimes the touchscreen controls would work and sometimes not. I had to unplug it to reset it to get the keypad to work. It would also beep all day long and occasionally turn on by itself. Having read your previous responses to similar issues with this model, i purchased a replacement rear control board. I replaced the control board and then put the cover back on. I powered it up and now I am stuck on the Welcome screen that says "would you like to set up the clock". None of the keys on the touchpad are responding now. Any ideas? Thanks. Michael
10/14/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Your touch panel is experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens and I can get you the correct part information.. The touch panel is shown as number 4 in the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

The door will need to be disassembled to replace the touch pad. I would probably have that professionally done as any leakage could be a very big problem if reassembly is not 100% correct.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Hi Kelly:
Thanks for the quick reply. Having read one of your earlier posts, I had already tried the hair dryer trick. I did not resolve the issue. I still needed to pull the plug to reset the unit to get the keys to work. As I mentioned in my question, I have already replaced the control board in the back of the unit. It did not fix the issue. I was able to get past the setup clock screen and run the the microwave for a minute but the touch pad is very finicky. It only works sometimes and for some functions.
Since I have just gained some experience changing out the control panel, do you think I would be able to replace the door control panel? -Michael

You replaced the board in the back on the right side, though, not the door, correct?

I will get you the access instructions and you can decide if you want to proceed....

Your model is slightly different but the attached pages show the process.

cc0a07f4-9b49-4bf1-9113-...jpgcc0a07f...jpg56b32498-0677-4584-8381-...jpg56b3249...jpg896d90a7-a81c-4e37-8140-...jpg896d90a...jpg3521d790-bf44-4293-87e1-...jpg3521d79...jpg
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for the pdf's. Yes I replaced the "control board" in the rear of the unit. Sorry for the confusion.
I tried the dryer trick again with some limited success. I can use the unit but the screen is still blinking on and off and is still occasionally beeping on its own . I could just look to replace the entire door, but the cost of the replacement door is a bit high

So that would at least verify the touch pad failure and good that it is usable now. More air dryer may be worth trying???

*hair dryer

Kelly, Appliance Technician