Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a DCS-365-N drop-in 5 burner natural gas cooktop that…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a DCS-365-N drop-in 5 burner natural gas cooktop that the center burner won't light. All other burners light fine and the igniter clicks and sparks for the center burner (actually, all igniters fire simultaneously, clicking and sparking). Gas comes out of the center burner and can be manually ignited using a match without a problem. I have disassembled the burner (pulled off cap, burner port ring, undid nut and simmer ring) and cleaned them all, insuring no holes are blocked.
Any suggestions what I can do to get the igniter to light the center burner? It seems like the doesn't contact the gas.
Thanks!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 4 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

If you hear the clicking and the unit is not lighting often that just is a bad/cracked electrode for the one burner. You need to replace that electrode to get it working again. Here is a link to a new one.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

But, as I said, the igniter/electrode is sparking. That doesn't seem like a bad electrode. Are you saying you believe a bad electrode can spark but not ignite the gas?
I found the problem. The simmer gas supply orifice was blocked, which prevents the igniter from getting gas to ignite the burner and, if the burner is lit manually, results in the igniter continuously firing and, if the burner is set to simmer, the flame going out. The solution was to disassemble the burner and clear the simmer orifice, which I did with the tip of a pin.The Vimeo video titled "DCS continuously clicking igniters" by John Oliver gave me the insight into the likely cause. The suggestion to replace the electrode from justanswer.com was not the solution and was clearly incorrect since the igniter was firing with a click and spark.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician