Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I'm working on a Whirlpool gas, slide in, range, Mod.

Customer Question
I'm working on a Whirlpool...
I'm working on a Whirlpool gas, slide in, range, Mod. Number: WEG745H0FS0. I have a very strange problem regarding both the broiler function and the bake function.1.when I got it I plugged the range into power, pressed the bake button and hit start. I heard the igniter sparking and the bakeburner came on. However, it shut off after 30 seconds. So, I hit cancel and tried to get it to light again. It would not. So, I unplugged the range and tried it again after about a minute. Just like before, the bake burner came on and again only stayed on for about 30 seconds. I've tried unplugging and restarting several times and I always get the same result.2. After the bake burner went out the last time I hit cancel and tried the broiler. I heard no igniter snapping nor did I hear or smell any gas entering the broiler burner. So, I unplugged the range, waited about a minute and low and behold I heard the igniter and the broiler burner came on. But just like my experience with the bake setting the broiler burner went off after less than 30 seconds and I had to unplug the range, wait about a minute and try again. Once again it comes on but turns off after less than 30 seconds.I ran the diagnostic and there were no faults listed.This range is less than one month out of warranty and my customer definitely needs to have me repair it. However, since I've never seen this before I'm hoping you can help me. I have only been repairing appliances for about 6 years and this one has me really scratching my head. Please let me know what you think the problem could be. ThanksI was working with Tyler Z but as responsive and courteous as he was, none of the suggestions he made solved my problem. Since I know that there are techs there with many, many years of experience, my hope is that one of them has run into this problem before and has an answer. I have spoken with three techs locally and they've never run into this problem.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

When you first turn any oven function on the DSI (direct spark ignition) does a self test and if it find anything wrong it shuts itself off.

The first place I start is at the outlet the range plugs into due to the fact that the DSI system requires a good ground and proper polarity.

So have you tested the outlet to verify it has a proper ground and proper polarity ?

how do I check the plug?

Check polarity to your outlet LARGE blade to ground 0 volts, small blade to ground 110-120 volts,small blade to LARGE 110-120 volts.
this is very important with electronic controls

I tested the plug and it tests good. So does the extension cord I'm using, What's next?

ok may I ask why are you using an extension cord?

The location of my electrical outlet is too far from where I have a gas hookup in my shop to plug into electricity without an extension cord.
Just so you know, this problem existed in the customer's home where it was plugged directly into a wall socket and I've tried different cords and plugs with no change. Also, it is important for you to know that I have a KitchenAid range with exactly the same problem except that the it has both an electric element and a broiler burner. The bake burner on the KitchenAid does exactly the same thing as the whirlpool, It comes on then turns off after about 30 seconds. However the broiler burner comes on and stays on.

ok No problem !! Have you made sure that both Bake and Broil burners are tightly mounted to the chassis , for a good ground also ?

oh and check to make sure when the burners are lite that the flame is engulfing the tip of the igniter also .

The burners are tight and the tips of the igniters are engulfed with flame and glow red hot. I also have a new DSI board installed

Ok when they cycle off have you tested to see if the DSI board still has voltage from the Control board or not ?

the DSI board still has 121.6 volts coming in to it.

Ok And this is the New DSI board correct?

when it shuts down have you tested either or both gas valve coils? during the self test the is one of the things it test. Possibly the resistance is not correct or when the solenoid coil get hot it opens up like a dryer coil does.

After it shut down I disconnected the wires going to the solenoids. The top one(purple), and it red 213.4 ohms. The bottom (yellow) one measured 214.04 ohms. Is that normal?

yes pretty close the tech sheet shows 216 ohms

Ok so if the gas valve solenoids have resistance and the control board /clock is still giving voltage to the DSI board ,and the DSI board is new .

Every thing so far looks good lets also check the DSI board on the J1-10 black to the J1-4 White to make sure that you do have constant voltage there when the oven cycles off.

I have 121.7 volts coming into the DSI board.
I'm not sure if the ignitor wires from the board are plugged into the correct spades since I got it after someone else had tried to find the problem. I have the bake burner plugged into J-4 and the broiler burner into J-3. Is that correct? I don't have a wiring diagram. Thanks

do you mean J1-3 an J1-4 ? red should be on J1-1,orange on J1-2, blue on J1-3, white on J1-4, red /white on J1-6 ,and blue /white on J1-7, black on J1-10

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm referring to o the insulated wires going from the DSI board to each igniter.

it does not matter which wire is on which for the igniters due to the fact both
Bake and Broil spark at the same time.

And the tech sheet does not even show the igniter wiring !

Do you have the units tech sheet ?

And if not would you like one?

Ok. I'm so stumped that I'm just grasping at straws.

What was the DSI board part number that you installed ?

At.this point I just hope that a far more experienced tech than I can figure out how to get this expensive, gorgeous range working. A tech. sheet would be nice

here is the tech sheet.

And What was the DSI board part number that you installed ?

The DSI board should be a part number of W10860916

That is the part number I ordered and installed.

ok so you have voltage to the DSI you have a good ground and a polarized outlet , the gas valve solenoids are good , and the burners are tight to the chassis.and the DSI is new .

Is your company an authorized Whirlpool servicer where you can contact the Whirlpool Tech line?

No I'm not Whirlpool factory authorized. I retired from the appliance business, (owned my own sales and service business), after 45 years in the business about 6 years ago. Though I was never an actual field tech, I learned enough that began buying repairable trade-ins from a very large retailer. I started repairing and reselling the appliances as a way to make a little extra money and to have something to do. I repair and sell approximately 300 to 400 appliances a year. Occasionally, I have friends request that I repair their appliances which is what happened here. It just so happens that I picked an almost identical Kitchen Aid range from the retailer with whom I do business and found that it has the identical problem. I don't have nearly as much experience with ranges because they are often too time consuming to clean and they are hard to sell. However, I have always had excellent results from the experts at Just Answer when my local contacts are unable to help. Since you own a repair business, can you call Whirlpool Tech service and see what they suggest and get back to me. It's been my experience over almost 1/2 a century that there is always someone who can fix anything and with the right knowledge anything can be fixed if one is willing to put in the time and effort. That's why I had Tyler open my question and problem up to the other experts there since he ran out of ideas. My customer has authorized me to offer you a $50 tip if you can get me an answer that solves my problem.

No I was just asking if you were authorized so you could call Whirlpool .I`m no longer a Whirlpool Authorized service company!

You have done everything to the unit that I can see the control is giving voltage to the DSI when Bake and or Broil is selected 121.6 volts ,and you have the constant voltage to the DSI of 121.7 volts ,both Bake and Broil Gas valve solenoids ohm out with in spec at 213.4 and 214.04 ohms.

And both burners are secured to the chassis and the outlet is properly polarized and grounded . about the only thing you /we have not tested is to see if the chassis has continuity to the ground lug on the cord .

If you want to do that we can test it .

I would test it from the bake burner to the end of the cord ground lug.

The cord checks out perfect. I appreciate your time and effort but please open up my problem to all the other experts there. I really need an answer.
Appliance Technician: Billy Olenick, Customer Service replied 3 months ago
Billy Olenick
Billy Olenick, Customer Service
My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you out today with your appliance repair. We are on an honor system here and are only paid for our services once rated so please don't hesitate to rate me. I will continue to help you through your appliance repair even after you rate me. Thank you.
If everything is testing out correct then I can only assume that the issue at this point is a bad relay or something tripping out the oven control board. This is why when you kill power to it it is able to reset the board and you are able to try it again. If I were doing this job I would replace that control board.
Whirlpool Range/Stove/Oven Oven Control Board ›Oven Control Board - Part #4448764
$210.40
Out of StockClick for Expected Ship Date ›
$60CASH
BACK
See Details ›
This part fits your Range/Stove/Oven
Electronic clock controlOEM Part - Manufacturer #WPW10603098
At this price I would send the board into core centric for repair it will be cheaper
For your information, Core Centric doesn't repair the boards for this range. Also, I'm confused. I removed the control module and I'm glad I did before I ordered the part number you gave me. The part number on the module I removed is: W10759290D. However, it is replaced by part number: W10885069. The part number you gave for the clock control is correct.The number you gave me must be a parts supplier sku #.
Since Core Centric won't rebuild the board, do you know who might?
Billy Olenick
Billy Olenick
Billy Olenick, Customer Service