Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a viking fridge with a bottom freezer. The freezer…

I have a viking...

I have a viking fridge with a bottom freezer. The freezer bottom ices up, we get a service person to unfreeze it, it helps for several weeks (sometimes Months) and then is happens again. We have also had a fan replaced in the refridge. What can we do to stop the reacurring freeze????

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Probably about 10 years old and I will find the model. model VCBB363LSS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. I can not seem to get it fixed by trained individuals

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The last defrost of the freezer was two weeks ago by a professional. I am now seeing some ice on floor of freezer. I know how to defrost with a hair dryer but that seems repetative as it did not work for tecnician

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/11/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Is the ice on the floor inside the freezer or are you seeing frost on the back wall?

o.k. I will wait

Ice is on the floor. I see the coils on the lower bottom of back wall a bit frosty. Currently there is not much ice but I know what the future holds. Also much of our frozen foods are frosty on the outside.

OK the coils are supposed to be a bit frosty. The coils melt periodically (about once a day or so) and that is why you're getting ice on the floor. The drain line below the floor is freezing over and not allowing water to drain out properly. You'd need to remove the back panel to expose the drain and the silver coils. You'll want to thaw out the drain hole and clear out the drain hole. Then wrap a copper wire around the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils and extend the copper wire down into the drain hole. This will cause a little bit of heat to go into the drain hole in the future so it can't freeze up again.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I cannot do this repair at this time. Can I get with you after I have done so and let you know how things go???
Actually I have heard about this repair before. So I will try it ASAP Thanks

Yes certainly. After you rate me there is an email sent to you with a link to come back and ask follow-up questions to me directly about this issue at no charge if you have any more.

I thought this was a $5 trial. Why did I get charged $38???? Not great communication to me about cost.

It's $36 for the question. $5 is the good faith deposit charged before you can ask a question to verify you have a valid credit card.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?