Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

On a bottom freezer, can a person disable their drink

dispenser or ice maker completely...
On a bottom freezer, can a person disable their drink dispenser or ice maker completely (no water line in house for that, and they break so often I don't want one? Or dos that somehow compromise the frig or freezer?
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: We are intending to buy one, but most have stupic dispensers and almost all have icemakers.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably, since installers probably are not authorized to do so, or to NOT connect the devices to begin with?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I do not want a phone call from some business that is trying to make money. I just want some broad answers from a technician who knows modern brands.
10/11/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you!

Yes if you do not connect a water line to the unit and turn off the ice and water dispenser at the controls it will never work. Even if you left the controls on just turn the icemaker function off at the controls. Basically just do not hook a water line up to the unit and turn the icemaker off and all will work just fine as a normal refrigerator and freezer without issues. Also certain brands can be ordered without an icemaker as well depending on the model. If you go to an actual appliance store that just sells appliance...not a Home Depot they will be able to show you that as well.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

That answer was a bit confusing to me. So I CAN leave my drink dispenser and/or icemaker disconnected and the refrigerators will work fine? Please confirm that is the case even if the drink dispenser is in the fridge portion of the machine. Is there any brand where they have made the device so integral that it CANNOT be disabled without the machine or its computer getting confused or going haywire?

So you are planning on buying a unit with drink dispenser and icemaker, but do not want either of them correct? If that is the case why don't you just buy one without them or do you have a certain one you want?

Variety of options is weak for the ones without icemakers. There are some really nice ones that DO have icemakers. There are a few more that don't have drink dispensers, but I still want to know what my options are.
In other words, I want to know if I can look at the full variety or if I am stuck with ones that have no dispensers and/or icemakers to begin with. The dispensers, which are in the fridge section, seem the most troublesome to me.

You can get any unit on the market and they all have on/off functions for the icemaker and water dispenser. That will not affect the unit at all. So buy anything you want and just turn them off at the controls. It will all work perfectly 100% without water to the unit.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thank you.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician