Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Working on a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator model number…

Working on a Kenmore side-by-side...
Working on a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator model number*********** The icemaker is not working and the freezer is to cold -30°F.
10/5/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The icemaker is likely not working if the temperature is -30 degrees in the freezer because the water line and fill tube above the icemaker will freeze. You can pull the refrigerator forward and follow the water line down from the top of the freezer (which comes from the icemaker) down to the electronic water valve below the refrigerator. Disconnect the water line and blow through it to see if it's clear. If not, then it's frozen. You would need to thaw out the fill tube above the icemaker with a hair dryer until you can blow through the water line or unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and leave the doors open to allow the unit to thaw out.

As for the temperature being so cold, that means the air isn't circulating to the refrigerator from the freezer properly since the refrigerator isn't freezing everything. There is a damper inside the refrigerator section in the upper back left corner just below the ceiling. Remove this damper and if it's frozen with ice, use a hair dryer and thaw it out so the shutter can open and close properly again. If you still have problems, replace the damper assembly. Below is a link to the damper assembly for your model.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Yeah I jump the icemaker and thaw it out it went into harvest mode. I was able to put the damper in diagnostic mode and watch the damper open and close so it is working. The only thing left is the thermistors and the control board right?

Yes, that would be correct. You can test the thermistor sensor for the freezer if you remove it. The part number is ***** and it should be 2.7kΩ's at room temperature. If that checks good then the control board up at the top of the refrigerator is failing and would need to be replaced.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Is the Freezer thermistor on the evaporator ? I didn't see any on the side of the wall either in the freezer or fresh food compartment. There was a thermistor on the damper .

It wouldn't be the one on the evaporator---that is the one for defrost. The diagram is terrible and doesn't even show thermistors on the parts breakdown so I can't say exactly where the thermistor is located. But if the display says it's -30 then it sounds like the thermistor is working because it's reading that it's definitely too cold which would mean either the damper is bad or the control board is bad and you said the damper was good so that leaves the control board.

Thank you

No problem and good luck.