Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My ice maker stopped working. How can I fix it? It's a

Customer Question
My ice maker stopped...

My ice maker stopped working. How can I fix it?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a Whirlpool. model WRX735SDB* Purchased in 2013.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water (you'll probably need to use a turkey baster to fill up the icemaker since it's a tight area) and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, either your fill tube above the icemaker is frozen, or the water valve has failed. The water valve is located behind a vent panel inside the back of your refrigerator. Below is a video on how to access and replace the valve so you can see how to access the valve.

CLICK HERE for valve video

There are 3 hoses going into this valve. Disconnect the left top hose coming from the white plastic connector. That is the hose that goes up to the icemaker. Blow through the water line and see if it's clear. If it's not clear, you need to remove the ice bucket and point a hair dryer above the icemaker toward the back to thaw out the fill tube until you can blow through it (keep the hair dryer moving so nothing melts). If the water line is clear on the other hand, replace the water valve.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?