Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GNE29GGhBBB refrigerator. The temp is set for 37…

Customer Question
I have a GNE29GGhBBB...

I have a GNE29GGhBBB refrigerator. The temp is set for 37 degrees but it shows 54 degrees. Why is this happenning ?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

It is a GE madel GNE29GGHBBB

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

You have not answered my question

Contractor's Assistant: Sorry. Please ask it again.

The temp on the refrigerators is set at 37 degrees but it shows 54 degrees. Why is this and what do I do to get back to 37 degrees ?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 10 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If the temperture is staying at around 54 degrees and not going down to 37 then theres a fault on there causing this.

The most common thing on these is the evaporator inside the fridge section builds up with too much ice and stops the airflow in there. What you need to do is either empty the fridge section and from there you need to remove the back covers in there.

Behind there you will see the evaporator. If this is covered in ice then you need to use a hairdryer and melt all the ice in there.

Once its all clear refit the panels and turn it back on. After a few hours this should be back to normal from there.

But if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to empty both fridge and freezer and turn it off for 24 hours and leave the fridge door open.

This will allow the ice in there to melt itself.

Then after 24 hours turn it back on and again this should sort itself out from there.

Try that and see how it goes from there.

I have tried melting the ice without taking off the panel. I will let you know tomorrow it works.

Ok, If it doesnt work then you may need to remove the panels as defroting with the panel on doesnt melt all the ice in there.

But fingers crossed this has done it.

Daniel,
I have melted the ice but the temp. stays 57 over night and raises to 60 during the day. I cannot deep the doors open and shut down the box because we have to much in the lower freezer is full and will melt the contents. Is there a phone number I can call you on to further chat ? Otherwise I may have to have someone come fix the problem.

Im afraid im unable to do the phone request on this. As you have requested a phone call hopefully another expert can pick the request up for you.

But in the mean time did you remove the panels inside the freezer to fully melt all the ice?

Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site JUST ANSWER
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

When you removed the panel to defrost the fresh food section Evaporator coil was the coil frozen over as to stop any airflow across the coil?

No need for you assit a GE repairman is scheduled.

Ok Thank you for replying back to me!!