Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I want to buy a countertop oven that needs a 208/240 volt…

Customer Question
I want to buy a...
I want to buy a countertop oven that needs a 208/240 volt electrical connection, it is 4700 watts. But there is only a 110/120 power supply at the place where I want to use it. Is there anyway to use the standard U.S. powder supply to get the oven to work. Do I need a transformer or adapter or what? Thanks.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You can buy an inverter to change the voltage, but since you need 4700 watts the inverter is fairly large and costs about $175-200 if you wanted to get an inverter to use your countertop oven. Below is a link to such an inverter if this is the route you wanted to go.

CLICK HERE for inverter

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

But everything says to get one that is 2-3 times the wattage of the appliance, so would something like that be sufficient?

That would be sufficient for an inverter, yes. Generators and breakers would require something larger.

A vendor I contacted for one that looks like the one you suggested said no it wouldn't work bc it is single phase and I need two phase power. Not sure what that means but does this work for that. Also is 220/240 the same as 208/240 bc it says that's what type of electrical connection I need. I just want 208/240 plug into something and then power it with a standard U.S. electrical source.

So I don't know what appliance you're looking at but if you need 2 phase power, there is no adapter or inverter for that. You would need an electrician to run 220 volts to your outlet in order to plug your oven in and work.

it's this: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/merrychef-eikon-e3-1330-high-speed-accelerated-cooking-countertop-oven-1-2-cu-ft/574E31330%20%20%20208*2401.html

There is no adaptor for that. You need an electrician to run 220 volts to an outlet if you want to use that unit.

Ah man! Ok, thanks for letting me know!

Not a problem I'm sorry but that it's just a euro model that requires 220 volts, that also requires 2 phase which is why an inverter won't work.

Last question, what about it tell you that it won't work? In my mind, it's just an oven.

You need 2 phase power. You can't get that from just a single outlet. You need a 220 outlet like a normal oven or dryer

Ok, thank you.

No problem. Again, please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc