Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Last week my GE fridge quit cooling after a power outage. I…

Customer Question
Last week my GE fridge...
Last week my GE fridge quit cooling after a power outage. I replaced my main board, but the unit still does not cool. I hear something running (either the compressor or fans).
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

GE Monogram ZIS360D built-in

I do not find that as a good model number !

All I show for the ZIS360 is a N after those numbers NO D at all.

On the upper right of the Technical data page, this appears 197D5967P005

can you give me the model number right from the model /serial tag on the unit?

I have looked inside and out for a tag inside the unit. I don't see any. I even checked behind drawers

should be on the interior wall

if you did not have the correct model number how did you order the control board?

I know. I think when they built my condo they got these in bulk and they were older models. I just can't find the model number at all. I'm sorry. They builders left the "Technical Data" page up by the motor. That's where I see Monogram ZIS360D.
I did a google search and the model came up in a previous thread someone had at justanswer.com

do you have a longer number because even the ZIS360D is not a full model number?

And did you look up top for the number also?

There's nothing. you're probably frustrated thinking I don't know where to look. but it's not there. Do you want me to go look at my neighbor's? we have the same fridge

yes that would be great if you could look at the neighbors to see if they have a model /serial tag .

Just reply when you can!

ok. she doesn't have a sticker either, but she has had her fridge services by GE, so she's calling them to see if they have the model number. She is on hold. I have the Technical data sheet which lists the replacement parts numbers in detail for each part
main board part is WR55X10560

ok and is that the control board part number that you replaced?

exactly the same board.

ok and in your first post you stated (( I hear something running (either the compressor or fans)) can you tell if it is the compressor running or not?

And how long ago did you replace the control board and power the unit back on?

I have turned the power off to the fridge because I didn't want it running without cooling. I replaced it yesterday afternoon and let it run all night, and this morning both temps were still 79 degrees. When the power is on, there is a noise. The compressor isn't warm at all. That makes me think it's the fan I'm hearing. How do I tell?
I assumed the board burned out because there was a white powdery substance that looked like the residual of blowing out.
I'm 99% sure I replaced the board correctly.

well you should be able to see either fan blade turning up top and in the freezer if the fans are running .

ok. This is a built in, so things are in a weird place. Would you like me to send a picture?
I don't know where to look for a fan.
My neighbor heard from GE. Her (and it's the same as mine) info is Model #ZISS3600AISS Serial ZL030041

ZISS3600AISS Thank you!
Give me a minute or two to pull up information on this model

Wow. We found the sticker. It's up on the side up above. REALLY difficult to find. My model is: ZISS360DRISS
Sorry that took so long.

yes it is a 360DRISS on the end

ok Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

this unit has the main control board but it also has a inverter control board that powers the compressor

Shoot. I don't. Yes, I would know how to use it if I had one. I live across from Home Depot. I could get one. I was also going to ask you about the inverter.

on the main control board you need to find the J15-1 and J15-2 pins and test then for D/C voltage you should get 12 volts D/C to from the main control board to the inverter to turn the compressor on .

Note: The J15 connector controls compressor speed through voltage AND frequency. When the main board calls for compressor operation, J15 output between pins 1 and 2 should be approximately 5 VDC with the harness connected and approximately 12 VDC with the harness disconnected. The voltage will not change regardless of compressor speed. A change in frequency controls the compressor speed.

Interesting. That was the one connector I was afraid of damaging. Maybe I didn't push it in completely? I will check, but in the meantime. I will get the volt meter. Do we keep this thread open, or should I ask followup questions now? I'm sorry I wasn't prepared.

the j15-1 is red and the J15-2 is white .

And then on the inverter you will have the red and white (control voltage )to the inverter and a constant 120 volts A/C on the orange to brown leads .

If you have both the control voltage and the constant 120 volts then you may have a bad inverter .

But to know for sure you will need to turn the unit off and test the compressor terminals to see if the compressor windings are good or not if you do have continuity from each of the three compressor terminals to each other then the inverter is the reason the compressor is not running .

I understood everything except the "see if compressor winding are good"... is that a difficult process?
I think I need a technician. Unless you immediately suggested I replace the inverter.
I was really hopeful that replacing the board would work.
hello?

Sorry I got called away on a Fire call!

I love in a small town in Michigan and I`m on the volunteer fire department.

Testing the compressor windings means to test the internal start and run windings inside the compressor from the stub terminals on the side of the compressor .

You have three stub terminals on the compressor one is for the Start winding (S) ,second is the Run winding (R) and the third is fro the common winding (C).

So you would test C to S and C to R, and then lastly R to S you should have continuity to each terminal if you do not have continuity then you have a bad compressor.

So with testing the voltage to the inverter if the voltage is there as described and the compressor windings all have continuity then the inverter is faulty .

Let me know what you find.