Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

What initiates cycle? What says "cycle start? For 1/2 hour…

Customer Question
What initiates cycle?...

What initiates cycle? What says "cycle start?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

For 1/2 hour maybe.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I knew where the cycle start is , Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I changed the maker, I changed the cable to the ice maker. I checked the water valve and if energised, the valve opens.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

scd23vl
How does cycle start?

which cycle?

And what component are you asking about?

you talked about the icemaker so are you wanting to know how the ice maker cycles ,or how the unit cycles into a defrost mode or the cooling mode.

Or how the water cycles thru the unit?

I need some info to better assist you!

Did I loose you??

No. Issume that the cycle starts with water fill. This doesnt happen.
Did I loose you?

ok So I`m assuming your asking about how does the icemaker cycle is that correct?

What signals the water valve to open?

if you are asking about the ice maker !

No the fill is not the first part of the cycle ,in fact the fill is the last part of the icemaker cycle.

The icemaker will only harvest one an internal thermostat reaches a temperature of 15 degrees, then the icemaker begins it`s 360 rotation . the heater comes on in the ice maker mold heating the mold to break the cubes loose, then it continues its rotation as the cube drop out of the mold then the icemaker calls for water to fill the mold cavities.

If the icemaker is not starting a cycle how cold is it in the freezer?

And if you feel in the top of the ice maker do you feel any ice or water in the mold cavities ?

All the food in the freezer is frozen. I assume that the temp is OK. the ice maker abruptly stopped making ice.

now the food will freeze at a temperature of 32 degrees, but the icemaker will not cycle unless the internal thermostat is 15 degrees.

if you feel in the top of the ice maker do you feel any ice or water in the mold cavities ?

There is no water or ice in the mold and the delivery tube is not frozen.

ok so if you have no ice nor water ,that mean the last time the icemaker cycled it did not refill.

Which means you probably have a bad dual water inlet valve on the rear of the unit.

This is a dual valve one solenoid for the ice maker and the second solenoid for the chilled water one can fail while the other still works.

Would you like a link to the part ?

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

No. I checked the valve with with an external power source. The valve opens with 120 v input. The other part of the valve delivers water on demand .

ok so if you gave voltage to the valve did it them bring in water to the icemaker?

No. I had the tube to the icemaker disconnected from the ice maker. When I energised the valve with an external power supply, water flowed thru the valve.

ok so you did not check the water line to see if it was clear or not?

It will either be the line restricted or the icemaker is not able to call for water to refill itself.

I blew thru the water line and there was no restriction. What signals the water valve to open ?

the icemaker itself is what tells the water valve to turn on ans turn off.

If the valve works and the line to the icemaker from the water valve is open.

Then you will need to replace the icemaker itself .

I did replace the ice maker. I don't think you have helped me. I think I have done all the simple stuff. You are telling me the icemaker cycle starts when the bimetal switch closes in the maker. I'll persue this further.

maybe if you had started or even told me what you had replaced before we started we would be in a different place!!

Revue the chat.
Appliance Technician: Jon, Owner/President replied 8 months ago
Jon
Jon, Owner/President
Phone call session started
I have not had a conversation with technician. He called and left message to call him. I called and he told me he would call back in 45 minutes. This is now the next day. I have received bills for 5, 23, and 25 dollars.Pretty pricey service for not providing what promised.