Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ice smells/tastes musty from our LG internal ice maker.

Customer Question
Ice smells/tastes musty from...

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

LG28768 about a year and a half old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yeah, I’m double-checking that there is no water filter and wondering if mold in the drip tray under the fridge could cause this. I cleaned out the compressor compartment, which was pretty dusty. The drip tray had some standing water that smelled a little musty, but doesn’t seem possible to empty without removing the compressor, so I added a little bleach and sopped it up the best I could.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I removed the ice maker and checked it out. No visible problem there, but it smells a little musty too. Cleaned it with some bleach. The air vent near the ice maker had the same smell, so removed and cleaned that while I was at it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/3/2017
Appliance Technician: AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician replied 10 months ago
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just answer. Sorry for the delay.

You need to flush the water line as well. Food can also be the cause of this.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 5 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated. Please rate my service and not the appliance. Also rating me does not close this question and you can still post here if you need anymore help. Thank you!

Thanks for getting back. What is involved in flushing the line? What would I use other than water, which is already running through it?

Pour 3 to 4 cups of white distilled vinegar into the ice-maker and dispenser lines with a small funnel and allow it to soak for five to 10 minutes