Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have a GE microwave model JVM740DM100, that conked out on me…

Customer Question
Have a GE microwave...

Have a GE microwave model JVM740DM100, that conked out on me tonight. is beeping loudly and saying "keypad shorted, service may be needed. nO buttons are operative and beeping obnoxiously. HELP

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

On the tag inside, it says 2009

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Heck no, I have no talent. Beeping obnoxioiusly...and I cant figure even how to unplug it. Can I do that?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

NO. But I need to know what to do about it. The word short scares me, is there any danger? NO buttons on the keypad are operative.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So you don't have to worry about the message meaning your microwave is dangerous. The touchpad where you push the buttons is shorted, but it's allow low voltage so it can't cause any harm. Either way, the touchpad will need to be replaced in order to use the microwave again. If you think too much steam may have gotten into the touchpad from the cooktop below, just unplug the microwave for 24 hours and allow it to dry out. If the issue comes back when you re-apply power, then below is a link to the touch control panel you'll need to order and have replaced for your model. The part itself is about $180 so it's not an inexpensive part and it may not be worth fixing the microwave if you call a technician out to replace it, because it'll be another $150 to have the part replaced.

CLICK HERE for touch control panel

Either way, there should be a power cord above the microwave in the cabinet above the microwave you can unplug to stop the beeping for now. If not, then flip your circuit breaker off for the microwave. The microwave should be on it's own circuit on your house.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?