Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The house I have just moved into has an older Maytag

Customer Question
The house I have...

The house I have just moved into has an older Maytag dishwasher, model WU202 Series 01. The soap goes into a circular receptacle in the door. On the cover of the receptacle is written, "Close cover over right hand cup after filling." I filled the right cup with detergent, closed the cover, then filled the left cup, and turned on the machine. During the washing cycle, I suppose the cover, which is spring loaded, is supposed to open to let the detergent out of the right cup, but the cover does not open. As a result, the dishes do not get clean. I have tried this several times. I hope you can help. Michael Gold

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I don't know the age. The model is WU202 Series 01.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All I can add is that the spring that opens the cover of the right cup seems to be working. When the cover is closed over the right cup, a slight push to the left releases the spring to expose the detergent. But the cover does not open during the washing cycle. Thanks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So unfortuantely these dispensers tend to fail quite a lot after they get to about 20 years old or so. The bigger problem is that the dispenser is no longer made. They use a bi metal spring contact to release the lid to open mid cycle and over time it just stops working so the dispenser needs to be replaced. Below is a link to the dispenser and it's about $90 or so, but as you can see it's no longer made so fixing the dishwasher may not be an option unless you can locate a new one on Ebay or something like that.

CLICK HERE to see dispenser

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?