Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE profile refrigerator that has defrost heater…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE profile refrigerator that has defrost heater issues.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

12 yrs. PSC23SGRC SS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The defroster seems to work occasionally. I've already replaced the defrost heater. I'm getting ready to replace the thermostat defroster. Does my refrigerator have a defrost timer?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you already replaced your heater, then it sounds like your defrost thermistor sensor has likely failed. The defrost thermostat rarely if ever fails. The thermistor sensor is the white plastic bullet attached to the top of the silver evaporator coils. If you had a multimeter, you can test continuity through the sensor if you cut the wires to it and put the sensor in ice water and it should read 16.3k ohms. If not then the sensor is definitely bad and needs to be replaced. Below is a link to the sensor.

CLICK HERE for sensor

Now if the sensor did check good, it means that your main control board is bad. The board is what controls the defrost cycle. It's located behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc