Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Kitchenaid dw is stuck on a cycle. Model is KDTE404DSSO.

Customer Question
My Kitchenaid dw is...

My Kitchenaid dw is stuck on a cycle. Model is KDTE404DSSO

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

3 years. KDTE404DSSO

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I replaced the mother board. Didn't fix it. There is soapy water in the bottom basin. When I cancel the cycle and then close the door, it drains.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

what makes you say the unit is stuck in a cycle?

It will operate normally, drop the soap, wash for a bit, then it will shut off, start up again for about 5-10 seconds, then shut off again. It will keep doing this until the door is opened.

ok That has to be an issue with in the electronic control board.

Have you unplugged the unit or turned the circuit breaker off for over 5 minutes to reboot the electronic control board ?

but happy to try again. i will flip the breaker and wait for 5 minutes, then flip it back. Do you want me to start the dw then?

yes that way after you power it back on me can test it to see if it has reset the control board or not .

If it is still the same way you will need to replace the control board .

here is a link incase you need it .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

OK, I have flipped the breaker back on (after 5 minutes). I cancelled the previous cycle on the dw and then closed the door. It drained the water that was in the basin. I have now started up a new cycle. I will let you know what happens. By the way, I have already tried replacing the board - same issue with the new one.

ok good info! and if I can have the part number of the control board that you installed please.

W10866116

ok That is the correct part number.

and your saying that when the unit shuts off that it comes back on ALL by itself you do not have to do anything for it to come back on correct?

it clicks off for 2-3 seconds, then clicks back on, after a brief pause tries to wash again, then clicks off again. It will just keep doing this until I open the door.

when it clicks off does the indicator lights go off also or just the pump?

everything shuts off

ok So that is like it is loosing voltage ,have you checked the cord /outlet and the junction box on the bottom front right corner of the dishwasher for a loose connection ?

no, I haven't checked it, but I will. what am i looking for? I don't know much about electricity, but I do have a multimeter if there are some tests I could do - please advise

check the [plug to make sure it is in the outlet all the way.

And in the junction box just make sure the wire nuts are good and tight.

everything looks normal to me

ok can you open the door and with your volt-ohm meter test the voltage to the control board ,we want to see if the voltage is dropping out when the unit shuts off and if it comes back when the unit comes back on .

where do I put the red and black leads on the board?

on the P4 connector P4-1 White to P4-2 Black looking for a constant 120 volts a/C

it stays at a constant 120V through all of the clicking, shutting off, turning back on

ok so if the voltage is constant and the unit is shutting off and coming back on it has to be something shutting the power off in the control board .

Now let`s check the door switch with the door closed on the P9 5 and P9-6 both violet wires and see if they have continuity all the time when the unit shuts off and comes back on !

a little harder to get the leads in on that one, but seems to be constant

ok so if you have constant 120 volts line voltage to the control board ,and the door switch is not opening and closing thus you have constant continuity you have a faulty main control board.

Hmmm... I am a little concerned that I checked the door switch properly. I am going to check it again
Not sure how it could be a faulty control board when I just swapped that out

you have nothing else it could be the control board is getting constant voltage and the door switch is staying closed.

Nothing else will cause the unit to turn on /off !!