Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool range direct spark oven. Having trouble…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool range direct spark oven. Having trouble getting it to light. Clicks 2-3 x then nothing. After an hr.of turning on & off she finally lit. My appliance repair man is booked out 2 weeks. He said burner may be clogged . Was looking for feedback as to how to clean the burner. Thank you, elaine

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

WfG 524slab0..its 3 or 4 yrs old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Was thinking bout it. He cant get out to look at it for 2 wks.& I need it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hmmmm..what do you mean? I really just want to check & see if burner is clogged.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

To be clear, is the cooktop burner the one having problems or the bake or???

The oven. Stove top works & broiler. I believe pie juice & other baking stuff may have the burner clogged.
No thanks on phone call, I'm baking & happy w/ this format. I can't get into oven to look until later this afternoon.

This model has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valve coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve.

Since the oven does seem to work intermittently, the first thing you want to do is remove the floor inside the oven and locate the spark tip. You may need to heat up the tip and bend it just slightly (careful not to crack the ceramic) so that the tip sparks just above one of the gas holes and is about 1/8" away from the burner at the tip. Over time the heat from the burner can cause the tip to warp a little and not be aligned properly so that when the metal heats up, it's no longer touching one of the flames coming from the burner which will tell the gas valve to stop sending gas for safety reasons.

Now if the spark tip has been correctly aligned and you still have problems, you have an issue with the gas valve or the DSI board. This board also serves other functions like sending out the actual spark to light all the burners as well as cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. The gas valve is located below the oven so remove the bottom drawer to see the valve against the back framing below the oven. You should get a reading of approximately 215 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thanks for the above however I do I go about just cleaning the burner?

Cleaning the burner will do absolutely nothing. The burner is below the floor inside the oven. It can't get dirty. Nothing can drip on it or get to it. Cleaning the burner is only for the cooktop or the broiler which is why I asked. There is nothing to clean on a bake burner.

my appliance man says that This oven has direct spark ignition. It is clicking when it tries to light Therefore the burner may need cleaning. He is booked out two wks.hence my desire to try & clean it myself.

yes I understand that, and the process to clean is the exact same process I gave you about bend the igniter tip into position. Nothing changes except you can clean the tip with sand paper instead of bending it.

Ok, I'll try that , thanks.

Good luck. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?