Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a french door fridge with freezer in the bottom.

Customer Question
We have a french...

We have a french door fridge with freezer in the bottom. freezer not cold at all, and ice maker not working. fridge seems fine.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Maytag MFT 2976AEM00. I'm thinking 4 years old - we moved into the house a year and half ago, but the fridge was fairly new

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of right now

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
10/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the entire back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

That'll take me a few minutes. I hear noises that sound normal...

ok

I can't figure out how to get the top drawer out. I have the front of the main drawer off, and can see how to remove that, but the top drawer has to come out first

I'm sorry I don't believe I'll be able to assist you here, so I'll opt out, but that will open this question to all other Experts, and someone will be along shortly to assist you

ok
got the back panel off, and everything behind it is iced up

I see you were able to remove the back panel, did you still need help?