Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool washer (Cabrio H2O low wash system) and…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool washer (Cabrio H2O low wash system) and it does not spin when it gets to the spin cycle. At first it was hit and miss if it would spin. Now it makes a low growling sound and you can see the basket slightly moving. Reason you can see the basket is because the door is unlocked

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Purchased July 2013 and model is WTW5600XW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would if I knew the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I think that is it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Ok the reason the unit will not spin is the lid is not locked!

Does it even try to lock the lid ? you should hear a hum as it tries to lock the lid .

it locks for about a second then unlocks.
Lid locking has not been the issue. The issue is that the spin cycle does not occur and it times out (or at least that is how it appears to me) then the lid unlocks.

ok so now your saying that the lid is locking is that correct?

I ask because you stated (( Reason you can see the basket is because the door is unlocked)) and if the lid is not locked the washer WILL NOT spin !

When I start washing cloths I select the wash cycle normal, delicate, quick wash, etc) I want then push the start button, The lid locks and it starts washing the clothes until spin cycle is reached but spinning would not occur. When this issue started (no spinning) I would push buttons turn off power and do whatever until lid unlocked. Then I would use a rinse and spin cycle to get the clothes spun. The lid unlocked is something new along with the rinse and spin cycle no longer works.
going to be offline for about an hour

ok no problem .just reply back when you can . W10393393

I am back

ok from what your saying the unit is more or less doing it`s own thing with not rhyme or reason and now it does not even want to lock the lid to do a spin mode.

I suspect you have a control board that has some issues .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

How hard is it to install the control board?

vewry easy with just basic hand tools .

Here is a video showing a control board being replaced on a Cabrio washer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oFPRNYpSy4

The video was not for my washer. However while in Youtube I did find a diagnostic video for my washer and I went thru the diagnostic test. The error code that is showing on my washer is F5E3. Also, video said to check see if a green light was lit on the control board. I did and the green light is lit. Per the video this indicates that the control board is good.Can you tell what the next step should be based on the error code of F5E3?

no the light only signifies that the control board is getting voltage .

The light has nothing to do with the software with in the control board

And yes the video is not the exact same part but it is the exact same design of washer!! that is why I sent you the video so you could see how the part was replaced.

and the F5-E3 error is an lid unlock fault ,Fault is displayed if Lid Lock has not moved into unlocked position or motor cannot be powered.

• Check for lock interference with lock striker. (which I asked you about and you stated the lid switch was OK )

• Main control cannot determine if lid lock is in an unlocked state.

(Which is why I have recommended to replace the control board!!)

I think we are having a problem here between you and I. My issues with you are:
1.) You said reason for me spending over $300 for a control board is because "more less it is doing its own thing with no rhyme or reason" does not give me the confidence it is the issue with my washer.
2.) The Youtube link you sent me to was of a washer which has a totally different method of accessing the control board. If you had taken the time you could have found mine as I did.
3.) Why didn't you ask more questions especially about the error codes. Or guide me through the process as I feel error codes leads you to a decision. But to say "more or less doing its own thing......." makes me feel like it is a gamble that the control board is actually the issue.. I do not mind doing the work but I want to make sure it is done right the first time.