Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our Profile microwave oven is no longer heating/cooking. It…

Customer Question
Our Profile microwave oven...

Our Profile microwave oven is no longer heating/cooking. It is otherwise operating . Can it be serviced? About 7 yrs olf.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE Profile Model #PEM315MISS manyfactured April 2008

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, It is otherwise operating,

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

It sounds like you're on the right track. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $180 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I decided to replace the microwave and was able to purchase a new GE for $115, considerably less expensive than the new part. Thank you.

Glad to hear it. This question is still open however, you are not finished. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today

I authorized one $5 payment and see that you are adding an additional CC payment that I did not authorize. Please cancel.

The question is $36. The $5 is just a good faith deposit to be able to ask the question so we know you have a valid credit card. To read my answer is $36 and the $5 is applied to that amount.

Tough lesson. I will not you your service again as it is a bait and switch.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Everything is written in the beginning before you ever send the question in.