Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We bought a whirlpool refrigerator about a month ago. If…

Customer Question
We bought a whirlpool...

We bought a whirlpool refrigerator about a month ago. If worked fine until a few days ago. The freezer works fine but the upper part is almost hot. It has the outer buttons for temperature. We fiddled with them and waited 24 hours after each setting to no avail.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about a month old. I don't know the exact model name. It has the freezer pull out space on the bottom and the main refrigerator on the top half/

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe. I just found the model #WRF560SEYM05 and S/N VS71793989 Does that help?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The freezer is fine and the ice maker and the front door water dispenser also works great

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Being as the unit is less than a month old, I would contact Whirlpool warranty at 1.***-***-**** to fix the issue at no charge. But either way I'll explain what is occurring. So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. The refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer section so something is blocking the air flow from the freezer up into the refrigerator section. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

Lastly, if the fan is running and the silver evaporator coils are just lightly frosted from top to bottom, the damper assembly which opens and closes to allow air into the refrigerator is just not opening so it needs to be replaced. This is mounted against the back wall of the refrigerator at the bottom. If you pull all the drawers and shelves out there is a vent going up the center of the back wall. You need to remove this vent to see the damper assembly you need to replace mounted in the bottom back edge of the refrigerator.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.