Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE Washing Machine, Model WHRE5550K2WW. When I turn the

Customer Question
GE Washing Machine, Model...

GE Washing Machine, Model WHRE5550K2WW. When I turn the machine on to run a cycle, it does a spin and sends water out the bottom of the machine. I checked the hoses to machine and wall.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model WHRE5550K2WW. I would estimate 8 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if work is something I can handle on my own.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Machine seems noisier on spin cycle that ever before.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/29/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 10 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Those particular models have a problem with the drive system and when the drive shaft/shifter assembly goes bad it will agitate and spin at the same time and when it does that the water will go out the overflow tube at the top and pour water out of the bottom of the unit, pretty common issue. So check and see if the tub is spinning when its agitating if so thats the problem and the drive shaft assembly will have to be replaced to fix it.

Washer Drive Shaft and Shifter Assembly

Part #: WH38X10017 - click here for part info at sears

Here is a video that shows how to replace it, it's a pretty labor intensive job - click here for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. Rating the answer does not close the question out it will still be open after you rate. I do not get compensated until you rate, I'm sure you don't work for free please don't expect I should.

I did not want to join Just Ask and I wish a refund of my deposit and cancellation so that no further charges are made.