Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My dryer won't start after the plug wasn't plugged in all…

Customer Question
My dryer won't start...

My dryer won't start after the plug wasn't plugged in all the way and it looked like it arched the prongs. I reset the breaker but still no luck.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model number is ***** and no idea on the age. We received it used.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Its not putting out heat. Found a burnt wire connected to the element board and repaired it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

It is likely that the thermal fuse on the unit has been tripped. And would need to be replaced before the unit will run again. I see that you have put both that it won't start and it won't heat, which is it that it is doing?

The thermal fuse will prevent the unit from starting however there is a different thermostat that can keep it from heating but still allow it to run.

Before it wasn't putting out heat. I took it apart and found a burnt wire connector going to the element board. I repaired the connector and then went to plug it in and apparently didn't have it plugged in all the way and it looked like the plug in may have arched and it tripped the breaker. I reset the breaker and plugged it back in but now it won't start.

Ahh alright that makes a little more sense then, it is highly likely that it blew the thermal fuse then and what you will want to do is take the front off again, on the left hand side where the exhaust is you will see the fuse with two gray wires going to it. Make sure the unit is unplugged and take those wires off and tape them together so they don't arc or anything and see if the unit comes on and heats that way.

will do. I'll give that a shot

Alright let me know what you find.

Sorry I was looking at the wrong picture at the time, yours might actually be located on the heater and not on the exhaust.

OK. Was gonna say I connected the two gray wires and that didn't work.
that is behind the motor?
that looks like the one I connected on the board.

So the wire from that arc'd? If you connect those two wires together what do you get?

it looked like the connector going to the wall arched out. is it possible that I fried the motor?

Right but that was after you were repairing the connector from that fuse correct? It is possible but it isn't as likely as the timer or something like that.

The connector didn't go to the fuse. The connector went to the part on the bottom left of the board that attaches to the springs on the backside of the board.
It looks like a white oval with a spade coming off the bottom with a bolt hole on the top.

Ohhhh alright, that board you are referring to is the heater coil that is where I got confused. So just one of the terminals going to the heater that fried. The thermostat I sent a picture of has the gray wires going to it though and jumping those together didn't do anything for it?

Sorry. Not overly familiar with drier nomenclature. Yes, one connector was burnt and jumping the fuse didn't do anything.

No problem, I understand now! Does the light come on at all when you open the door?

Bulb was burned out when we received the drier and never replaced it.
If I set it to off and hit start it sets of the alarm correct?

Yeah it should, another way you can test that is to put it on one of the timed dry cycles at like 10 min or so and wait a couple minutes to see if it has moved at all.

Should I still keep the fuse out off the circuit?

No connect it back through the fuse, if that didn't change anything then you might as well put it back to normal.

the buzzer didn't sound on off. I'm currently trying the timer test.
I have no power apparently. The timer isn't moving.

Alright and you turned the breaker all the way off and back on?

I'm an idiot give me a few more minutes.

Nah not at all, arcing issues like that can cause some problems.

It sounds like the timer is working. There's no buzzer sound though. Just like a ticking sound.

Alright now that we know we are getting power to the timer, unplug it again and jump those 2 gray wires and try it again.

No change. There isn't some sort of sensor in it that won't let it work on its back is there?

There isn't any sort of sensor that I know of that would cause that, do you need to have it on it's back to access the heater area?

Just makes it easier to reach inside. I can set it up right if need be.

I would just to make sure, it really shouldn't make a difference but just to be sure.

If you set it at like 2-3 min on timed dry and let it run out that way does the buzzer go off?

Setting it up right made no difference. It sounds like the timer starts as soon as it moves off of the off position.

Alright well that's good to know for sure. Like it starts going into the next cycle of it?

That I'm not certain of. Currently I set it on the tail end of the timed cycle to see if the buzzer goes off. But it sounds like the timer starts as soon as I move it with out hitting start.
The timer works.

The timer works but you aren't getting the motor to turn on, see how it does when it finishes as normal.

No buzzer btw.

Do you have access to an ohm meter by chance?

Not till tomorrow, its in my tool box.

Well we might have to hold off until then to continue, we are kind of to a point with it where you will need to test a few things on it so we can accurately figure out what we have going on with it.

Well then we will continue this tomorrow evening.
Thank you for your help thus far.

No problem just let me know when you have it.

will do.

K.