Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Viking freezer (model VCFB304lSS) that is

Customer Question
I have a Viking...

I have a Viking freezer (model VCFB304lSS) that is malfunctioning. The unit is cold at the bottom, but warm at the top.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model is VCFB304LSS it is about 4 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Potentially, depending what is needed.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Ok - I removed all the food from the freezer as I unplugged it and did a manual defrost (just turned it back on). Do I need to remove the ice maker and side panels to take the back panel out?

At this point there is no point in removing the back panel if it was defrosted. How long have you had it defrosting?

about three hours

OK well that wouldn't be near long enough to defrost anything if there was a problem. It takes 24 hours to defrost. So yes, remove everything and remove the back panel. You will need to remove the icemaker.

ok - let me work on that and I'll get back to you.

ok

Instead of removing the back panel, can I let the unit defrost for 24 hours?

Yes, that will tell you what is wrong. If you let it defrost for 24 hours and it starts working like normal when you plug it back in, that lets you know that it's not automatically defrosting properly. You'd have to the pull the back panel off then test the defrost heater and thermostat to see if either doesn't have continuity. If either does NOT have continuity, replace the sensor. If they have continuity, replace the display control board because that is what controls the defrost at the top of the unit.

Now if unplugging the unit for 24 hours doesn't fix the issue, the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running so the fan would need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thanks for the follow-up. I defrosted the freezer over the weekend and it is now working. I'll keep an eye on it, if it becomes warm again and let you know any additional issues. I would not close the question until the freezer is working continuously for a period of time.

OK then I think we are done here. I have held up my end of the bargain giving you the information you need to fix your appliance and you are with holding your end of the deal. I will not be helping you in the future.