Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I just turned my microwave on and the light comes on and the…

Customer Question
I just turned my...

I just turned my microwave on and the light comes on and the timer is on and works but there is nothing happening. The little light just above the timer to the far left is blinking and the little bowl light is also blinking

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Several years old and is an emerson mw8119sbm

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don't know, just trying to find out what is wrong with it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am really lost with this. when I turn it on the little light just above the timer blinks and the 4th light over blinks. it is the shape of a bowl with heat coming off it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 10 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the timer is counting down and the light turns on but the microwave is silent, it means that one of your 3 door switches has failed. There are 3 door switches for safety reasons and if one of them fails you run into this scenario. You'd need to take the outer shell of the microwave off which requires a T-20 safety torx bit screwdriver and then test all 3 door micro switches with your multimeter. If any of them aren't opening and closing when you open and close the door, replace that switch. You can test the switches through the right side of the microwave once you remove the outer shell. Below is a video that shows you how to test the actual door switches if you have a multimeter. Access is different on your microwave but testing the switches is the same.

CLICK HERE for video

If for some reason all 3 door switches checks good, the display board has a bad relay and the display board would need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?