Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My "older" kitchenaid dishwasher door will not open. I don't…

Customer Question
My "older " kitchenaid...

My "older " kitchenaid dishwasher door will not open

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I don't know the model--it is vintage 1984---has touch controls on the door front with a latch handle below the panel

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems the door handle has no resistance, like the spring or operating system is disconnected

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

doe your model have the stainless steel tub or porcelain?

I believe it is stainless---but because the door won't open----

ok is the dishwasher handle metal/ chrome or plastic

It is probably a KD24 series model and those has door latch issues.

You will need to get a metal clothes hanger and bend the Hook in the shape of an L and put the small end of the L in behind the door assembly on the right hand side of the door and then bring it to the center of the door hopefully hooking the tank strike assembly then you can unlatch the door

And you can then give me the model number on the tank face frame.

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

Master Tech
Master Tech