Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an LG refrigerator, Model LF28978ST, which is leaking…

Customer Question
I have an LG...

I have an LG refrigerator, Model LF28978ST, which is leaking a slow but steady stream of water from below the ice maker / water dispenser area. Is this problem easy to diagnose via chat?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

My guesstimate is it's about 5 years old. The model is LF28978ST 00

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I'm willing to troubleshoot and hopefully save a repair call. The manufacture date is 2010

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've turned off the water supply so I didn't have to keep cleaning water from the floor, but can turn it back on if it need be

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Where exactly is the water leaking from? The front of the door? Inside the freezer? etc...

Also, is there ice in the ice bucket still?

The water appears to be coming from under the dispenser, out the front of the door

OK is there ice in the ice bucket still?

I emptied the ice maker and turned it off. I also turned off the water supply
Will there be additional fees charged to my card the longer we troubleshoot this problem?

so, this question is just $28.

OK - what next?

OK so it sounds like what is happening is a common problem where the flap in the ice dispenser isn't sealing off properly so it's allowing some air to get into the bucket, melt the ice in the bucket and drip out the ice flap area into the dispenser. I would fill up the ice bucket with ice and see if the leaking starts again. If so, that means that your ice flap would need to be replaced. If it doesn't leak after a couple days, then that has nothing to do with your problem which means that your electronic water valve is leaking and not sealing off so the electronic water valve which sends water to the water dispenser and icemaker will need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thanks for the help. Please note I authorize NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES to my credit card.

Understood, you are only signed up for this one question, you are not signed up for a monthly subscription. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?