Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My microwave will not full heat, even though it's set on…

Customer Question
My microwave will not...

My microwave will not full heat, even though it's set on HI.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's about four years old. Don't know the rest.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I,m especially speaking of when pressing the add 30 sec button

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 10 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Anytime a microwave runs but does not heat means that the magnetron ( Its purpose is to generate microwave energy. The high-voltage components accomplish this by stepping up AC line voltage to high voltage, which is then changed to an even higher DC voltage. This DC power is then converted to the RF energy that cooks the food.)

has failed and will have to be replaced. This is a dangerous repair because microwaves hold high voltage even when power is not being supplied to the unit, so it is highly recommended that only a qualified technician make this repair. The magnetron and also the diode that will need to be replaced usually run in the range of 140.00 -300.00 just in parts depending on the model. If you still would like to attempt this repair yourself let me know and I will try and find you the part numbers you need if you give me your model number, thanks.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. Rating the answer does not close the question out it will still be open after you rate. I do not get compensated until you rate, I'm sure you don't work for free please don't expect I should.