Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My refrigerator compressor tries to turn on, at least I hear…

Customer Question
My refrigerator compressor tries...

My refrigerator compressor tries to turn on, at least I hear something for about 5 seconds, then it stops. then after a couple minutes it tries for 5 seconds again. I thought I'd check the relay first since I don't know how to check a compressor.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Its a maytag MBF1958XEW6. has an embrace compressor EM3Y60HLP

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

New in 2012

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was working fine with no temperature problems. it just happened all at once.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

This unit does not have the old style relay it uses a PTC start devise.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

I have a volt-ohm meter and also have a clamp on amp meter both ac & dc. I know how to use all of these.

ok so let`s use you clamp on amp probe on the red wire to the compressor and tell me what is the amps that the compressor is pulling when it does this hum and then click .

If it`s amperage draw is 10-13 amps then the compressor will need to be replaced.

If the amperage is 3-5 amps then you should be able to get by with just replacing the PTC start device.

If you need part numbers let me know for the PTC , if the compressor is bad I would recommend just replacing the refrigerator , due to the price of parts and labor will be approx $500.00 if not over.

I won't be able to test this out until Saturday 9/30. when I do, I will let you know what reading I get on the amp meter.

ok No problem I will be online until 5 pm EST today