Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool top-loading washer/dryer combo that is…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a whirlpool top-loading washer/dryer combo that is leaving neon yellow stains on my white clothes that were not stained before. Even bleach will not get them out. I have had to throw away some very expensive clothes. The unit is only two years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I just told you, two years. I will go write down the model number - just a sec

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

WeT4027EWO

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. I would just like to know what's causing it and what I can do about it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Appliance
9/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

There is nothing in the washer that will create stains like that , the gearcase (oil ) is on the outside of the tub tubs that hold the clothes and the water.

These stains will they wash out if you wash the clothes a second time.

No. They are neon yellow and only on certain pieces of clothing. It happens even when I wash out the washer first. The clothes did not have the stains going in. I am using Costco detergent and no fabric softener. It happens with different detergents so I don't think it's that. This has never happened with my previous machines.

ok have you had your house water supply system worked on recently or have they worked on the water piping outside or near the home that your aware of?

No. We also have a softener so the water coming in is not hard.
Also this has been going on since I got the washer.

ok there is nothing in the wash tub that can cause this .

The tub only hold the water that is coming in from your house water supply.

No mechanical parts of the washer ever touch the clothes , so it has to be either on the clothes coming in from the water ,or from the detergent.

Have you ever used a washer cleaner in the unit?

No. But I've used bleach.
It seems like if it was the water, it would stain all of the load, not just parts of it.

but if you had some type of particals coming in thru the water it would not be in all the water just specks here and there.

There is a filter on the softener and it is not specks, it is pretty large areas.

I can tell you how to take the agitator and inner tub out of the washer so you can clean and wipe down those parts and wiped down the outer tub that holds the water if you would like.

I've already done that.

ok so if you pulled the unit apart and cleaned it did you find anything that had this neon yellow on it?

No

ok so that right there tell me it is NOT coming from the washer itself!

do you by chance own a boat or been out on a boat recently?

OK, but I haven't changed anything about the way I wash clothes so I have no idea why this is only happening now.
No that's ok. I will just wash important things by hand. Thanks anyway

I ask about the boat because the neon yellow sound like die marker used for flotation devices

No. There is absolutely nothing going into the machine except white or light clothes. And this is not just recently. It happens a lot. So let's just give up.

no problem

Good luck !!